Curtains, arg!

MJ Dixon

So, I used to own a seamstress business. "Curtains will be an easy thing", I told myself. 

I figured I'd need a lightweight fabric, that hung well. Put my hand on every bolt of fabric at Joann. I decided on some high end lining. Super thin, tight weave, but enough weight to hang. Grrr. So I think I've got window in 2 rooms figured out. And now I think the others will just get swags or valances. 

And for the attic, since its Addams Family inspired, boards across the windows! There, problem solved. 

The important lesson I learned with mini curtains is that polyester and other synthetic fabrics won't hang or drape in mini like natural fibers.  Old polyester neckties work da bomb for mini upholstery, but cotton and silk are best for drapes & bedding.

• Like 1

You may want to consider using hair spray. Pin the material into the shape you want for the finished look. I make a rough sketch and sandwich it between either a corrugated cardboard or foam board base, then pinch and fold the fabric the way you want it. Hold it in place with a bazillion pins. Spray heavily with hairspray. Let it dry. Spray it again.  When dry, the hair spray will disappear and you will have a stiff piece of fabric to put on the window that no one will suspect isn't draping beautifully on its own. 

Holly is right. Stick with natural fibers for the best results

gallery_818_358_53209.jpg

gallery_818_358_6610.jpg

gallery_818_358_43953.jpg

I like the mini pleaters and have successfully pleated polyester lace with them (ironing). There are backings you can iron onto them while in the pleater as well for extra stiffness - and for lace, some of the backings turn clear, so you get that sheer look. I can't sew to save my life, so I depend on those pleaters.

Another vote for mini pleaters.  They work so well for me.  I've tried the pinning method, and all I got was a messy looking curtain with pin holes in the fabric.  :cry:  This could well be due to user error, but I do find that the mini pleaters make curtains a breeze for me.