Hello again

CheckMouse

I've been off the forum way too long! Here's my story in a nutshell

• sold our home in Washington
  • DH was in a car accident as we left the house; still hospitalized for rehab - now entering week #11
  • moved to Nebraska - DH by plane from Seattle Harborview to Nebraska hospital; Mother and I went by car.
  • still caring for 96-yr-old mother with stage four kidney disease and rapidly increasing dementia
  • busy setting up new house - 

Still haven't found the box with the rest of my computer in it, but I do have a laptop - hate it but it works, sort of.  I can't access the Greenleaf forum by cellphone so I've been out of touch. My overworked cellphone has been doing everything - bill paying, email, Facebook, internet searches for shopping - EVERYTHING!  I'm  very thankful for an efficient smartphone, but I do so miss my big computer monitor!   

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say HELLO - I'll post pictures of our house when I get my computer hooked up. We purchased a 100 year old home, which I believe is a Craftsman. Not a Victorian this time, but it has a lot of charm. We ripped out the carpet in the living and dining rooms - and are getting the beautiful oak hardwood floors refinished. That has seriously slowed down the unpacking process, but it's worth it. Underneath all the nasty carpet is a completely perfect and unblemished floor! There are two patches which look like places for floor grates for the heating system - and an old chimney in the basement that fed them!  But the patches were well done and with the refinishing will be almost undetectable.. 

Welcome back, Claudia.  So sorry to hear about your husband injured in a car accident.  Eleven weeks is a long time to be in rehab, hopefully, his condition is improving.  You surely do have a lot to keep you busy and not an easy time for you.  Take care.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019, 3:24:45, Sable said:

Welcome back. I’m curious why the cell isn’t working for you to gain access to this forum? It’s all I use.

Long ago they said they would not have a cellphone app for the forum, as Facebook does.  I can access it if I go to the Internet and log in from there, I guess.  If they do have an app now, I would love that!

On 9/26/2019, 11:21:27, fov said:

Welcome back! I'm curious to see a photo of your house exterior (if you're okay sharing it). I love Craftsman houses and wish I lived in one.

I just posted a few pictures. We shopped online for months before moving - I was on the realtor website every day. We saw a lot of nice houses, saw a lot of blah houses. It's tricky buying a house unseen, and selling a house while you're still living in it! Someone suggested we just move into a rental and then shop around. But with my 96-yr-old mother needing  round-the-clock care that just didn't seem like a good idea.

We had an excellent realtor (third try!) and she would call our daughter and they went through each house while I was on the other end of a Facebook Messenger video call. Gotta love modern technology!  I spotted this one within the first few hours of its posting - and it was love at first sight. And DH loves it, too. He's not out of rehab yet but we were able to bring him in a wheelchair to at least see it. We had an inspection done, a few things were fixed up, and it was given a clean bill of health. A lot of the rooms have wallpaper and everyone asks if I'm going to rip it out. No, I'm not. Don't mess with my dollhouse! :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

Long ago they said they would not have a cellphone app for the forum, as Facebook does.  I can access it if I go to the Internet and log in from there, I guess.  If they do have an app now, I would love that!

No app; the internet is what I use. I have the link saved to my Home Screen, just like an app. It remembers me so I don’t have to log in. See the poorly drawn yellow circle? I just click on that and I’m in.

84261171-C416-44AF-B505-C922ED7BD269.jpeg

• Like 1

I love how you have almost 10,000 emails.  I’m the same way, I hardly ever look at my personal emails and they add up so quickly.  

I have the forum on one of my many open internet tabs on my phone.  I have not been on a desk top computer in 5+ years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

I love how you have almost 10,000 emails.  I’m the same way, I hardly ever look at my personal emails and they add up so quickly.  

Darn it! I had double checked to make sure I wouldn’t incriminate myself. I’m obviously blind to my email count.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keifer said:

I have the forum on one of my many open internet tabs on my phone.  I have not been on a desk top computer in 5+ years. 

Me too every time I have a clean out I delete 1000s but I’m fast back up to 8 or 9 thousand. :rolleyes:

Welcome back CJ, I’m sorry to hear about your husband.. what terrible luck! I too hope he is on the mend. It must have been quite serious to require so much rehab. Congrats on the new house. 

23 hours ago, Sable said:

No app; the internet is what I use. I have the link saved to my Home Screen, just like an app. It remembers me so I don’t have to log in. See the poorly drawn yellow circle? I just click on that and I’m in.

Thank you, Sable.  I'm on the Internet a lot on my phone - just hadn't thought of going to the forum that way. I haven't yet unpacked my whole computer - only found the CPU so far. I do have a laptop, but it's a miserable Chromebook and I really don't like it!

I now have the little Greenleaf icon on my home screen :) 

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Our phone makes and receives calls.  If it does anything beyond that, we haven't figured it out.  Claudia, I LOVE Craftsmen bungalows, and yours looks like a real treasure!

I am totally captivated by this house!  I called the county courthouse and found out that I can bring my title and any other info I have to their office and get information from "day one" of the house! I'm trying to fit that into my schedule (a.k.a. get a sitter for Mother for a few hours). After the inspection the seller had to upgrade the electrical system - it still had the fuse box with those round glass (?) fuses in it!

It also has a full basement! I have wanted a basement all my life! It has 2 bedrooms, a workroom, bathroom, and a huge room almost the full length of the house. That will be my workroom and dollhouse domain. :) Of course, now that we have a house with a stairway, my knees are giving out. I will have to have them both replaced, I'm assuming, but I certainly can't take time for me right now. Caring for Mother, visiting DH, unpacking and settling a new house by myself - no way I can have any surgery now!

However - we did put in one of those Acorn Stairlift chairs on the stairway to the basement. Absolutely a life saver - or knee saver!  And with that I no longer had to wait for someone to have time to help me haul stuff to the basement - I just (a) carry it on my lap or (b) strap a box onto the seat and send it down the pike!  The basement bathroom has a big shower, and the upstairs bathroom has only a tub, so now we can get my mother down to the nice shower since she can definitely not use a bathtub anymore. 

9 hours ago, Samusa said:

Welcome back CJ, I’m sorry to hear about your husband.. what terrible luck! I too hope he is on the mend. It must have been quite serious to require so much rehab. Congrats on the new house. 

Thank you, Samantha.  Yes, he really did a number on himself! I'm just thankful it wasn't any worse. It was almost a head-on collision - headlight to headlight, not quite straight on. I was right behind him in the van we rented for our trip. He was driving his pickup which he was giving to a friend - he was blinded by headlights coming around the corner - and ka-boom.

They had to use the Jaws of Life to get him out of the vehicle. He has a broken right wrist, both bones; and a crushed left foot. All 5 metatarsal bones were each broken in 2 or 3 places. He had surgery by the best physician at the Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. After a week there, he was flown to our town in Nebraska, to a facility that is a rehab center and a nursing home.  His older sister has been a resident there for the last 5 years and the staff put him in the same wing, just 4 doors down from her room. And this place is a mile and a half from our house!  There was an opening for him (in his own private room); his insurance was accepted; and he and his sister eat all their meals together. God is good! The Seattle hospital staff was looking for a place for his transfer, including Omaha, which is about 100 miles from us. So very thankful they got him in this local facility. Our daughter, a nurse who used to work there, says it is the best in the county!

He's gaining strength, has a walking cast on his foot now, but can't walk alone yet. His wrist is really bothering him more than his foot right now. There is an internal rod to keep the wrist straight, after the regular cast was removed.

• Like 1

Oh yikes.. that all sounds very painful and frustrating for him, but how wonderful that he got into a great (and convenient) facilty. With his sister no less... But how about you! That must have been horrifying to watch it all happen in front of you! Sending big virtual hugs. :) 

:wave: Hi CJ! Good to "see" you again! 

Yes- how horrifying it must have been to watch that accident happen in front of you!  When my daughter and her hubby moved across country from Portland, OR to Pennsylvania, my other daughter went along to help with the driving.  The two girls were in the SUV , while my SIL was driving behind them in the U-Haull truck. It was cold and had snowed....and the SUV hit a slick spot and went off the road.  My SIL watched in horror as the vehicle skidded up and over the little hill between the divided highway...went slightly airborne and disappeared from sight!  The car had rolled down the other side and skidded to a stop -upside down- just feet away from the oncoming traffic.  Thankfully, they were unharmed.  The cat however, has never been the same since! 

Sending wishes to your hubby for a full recovery!

• Like 1