Walls? Stucco?

jaxenro

So I am looking to make a small dollhouse loosely based on the outbuildings at Berry Hill and Uncle Sam plantations. These buildings were set up for various purposes, kitchens, offices, guest housing, etc. Mine will be an office and library and double as a guest bedroom by swapping in and out furnishings.

I want the walls to be 3/4" thick and stucco inside and out but am unsure what to make them from. Cast plaster seems to be really heavy even at this small size (about 12" by 19" walls - rough size about 19" square not counting the porch) so what would you recommend? I am open to all options including making a wood frame and skinning it inside and out and applying stucco over that.

The photo's below are from Berry Hill but I have the plans from Uncle Sam - just an amazing set of buildings I can't believe they tore it down it was almost criminal. At least the Historic Building Survey documented it first

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/la0030/

162024pv (1).jpg

162025pv.jpg

23 minutes ago, Miniatures in Marble said:

What's would you make the walls out of? I have used ready mix drywall compound before on sheetrock joints I assume you mean that?

You could use builder's foam sheets for the walls to keep the weight down.  I use spackle or joint compound over primed plywood to simulate stucco, among other things, all the time.

48 minutes ago, fov said:

Why do you want 3/4" thick walls? That seems really bulky. For stucco I use watered down wood filler, applied with a sponge brush.

The originals were 15” so actually they should be 1 1/4” to be scale I am thinning them down. It is part of the Greek revival design of these outbuildings to be bulky. 

If I understand it all 18” interior plus two 3/4” walls is 19 1/2”. Divide that by 13 and you get exactly 1 1/2” which works for the column diameter with 3 diameter spacing (4 1/2”). I was planning 12” tall columns which is tall for Tuscan (8 x diameter) but I think works. They are a little more slender than a squat Doric but I think a touch more elegant 

A lot of these plantations weren’t designed by professionals so much as pulled from pattern books and simplified. I am trying to do the same in my own small way

21 hours ago, jaxenro said:

Those look great I was wondering where to get columns and you nailed it

Thanks- necessity is truly the mother of invention. Since the pillars were not tall enough I used my mini table saw to cut the capitals and pedestals off. You have to give them a few coats of paint to eliminate the plastic look. I traced the cutoff top of the column onto the top of the dowel to assist with narrowing it.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Party-Baking/Baking-Supplies/Decorating-Tools/White-Grecian-Cake-Pillars---5%22/p/45355

I just started a Nebraska State day project, brought it home and got to work, it’s a Tuscan Garden and has stuccoed walls.

Red Devil Lightweight spalls is what they gave us - at true value I found a Dap version

it is super light weight and I didn’t even need to sand it.  I’ve used joint compound in the past and had to sand it and it was a mess, so I think I’ll use the light weight sparkle from now on.