Bookcases II

jaxenro

1 hour ago, Miniatures in Marble said:

The doublers are all glued. I did a quick mock up assembly to see how it looked. Not perfect but acceptable I guess. Then I sanded the shelf faces and inside faces of the doublers, places that would be near impossible to sand when it is assembled, and glued up and clamped the first one. Meanwhile I am starting the same process on the second one

Bookcase Body Construction 09.jpg

Bookcase Body Construction 10.jpg

Bookcase Body Construction 11.jpg

NOOOOW I understand the doublers. It makes sense. Thanks for showing all your steps. It's been quite helpful. 

I agree with Holly. Miniaturizing real life items is as much art as it is craft. What looks right in real life can look a bit clunky when miniaturized. Remember the mantra: smoke and mirrors  It doesn't have to be real to look real.  :) 

• Like 1

He is amazing isn’t he? Spent quite some time looking at his art

A lot of his work is slightly earlier than what I am trying more Federal than Empire. Empire is more solid and blocky while Federal is refined and elegant. Say 1800 vs 1830. But I see what both of you mean about the need to scale down in miniatures as scale could look overscale

The tricky part of this one will be making veneered molding. I am going to be building it up in strips using layers then mitering the strips. I think Duncan Phyfe could veneer a tennis ball but I am A novice. So I think I will leave well enough alone and move on to the next steps

waiting on a veneer order so there might be a lag

6 minutes ago, Sable said:

I think you should ask Santa Claus for one of these:

https://www.micromark.com/mini-powertool/-saws/table-saws

That little saw is awesome! I have one. Not sure if it is this current model as I've had it for years but I got mine from micromark. Works well and doesn't terrify me like my RL table saw. 

• Like 1

Molding for Section 3 - Base

There are at least three methods for making molding. One is to buy ready made but unfortunately no one makes what I want. The second is to use an appropriately shaped shaper bit and use it to shape the edge of a piece of wood. A third method, which I will use here, is to assemble it from stript of wood sandwich style. This method also allows me to easily veneer parts of the molding. 

The picture shows the profile and dimensions of the assembly

Molding 01.jpg

• Like 2

This schematic intrigues me, cannot wait to see the real deal. Can only imagine it will be a quite lovely addition to the finished piece. And while I see the points about thickness and scale above, as a carpenter's daughter I lean to the thick/substantial version of things. 

53 minutes ago, FurMama said:

This schematic intrigues me, cannot wait to see the real deal. Can only imagine it will be a quite lovely addition to the finished piece. And while I see the points about thickness and scale above, as a carpenter's daughter I lean to the thick/substantial version of things. 

Thick and substantial aren't really necessary nor look particularly "right" in 1:12.

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Thick and substantial aren't really necessary nor look particularly "right" in 1:12.

It doesn't always look particularly right in full scale, either. My dad was of the school that believed that if a 1x2 would do the job, a 2x4 would be better. The resulting items were sometimes problematical. He built a 4' x 8' kitchen table and decoupaged its surface with recipes Mom had collected from friends, family, and the Chicago Tribune home sections. It was a surprise, done in secret, so none of us had a chance to suggest that something a bit smaller might be more useful. It was so big that it took up nearly all of the available space; it was difficult to maneuver around it. It replaced a very sturdily built (think 2x4s) round picnic table with curved benches that left me with permanent bruises near my knees as they didn't quite fit under the table. It was also too big for the room. 

As an aside this is what I  am thinking for the next pair I make (although I have a sofa and pair of chairs planned first) converting the front to pilasters so the side isn't just a slab and the whole thing looks too thick. I think the drawing shows it but the center of the side would have some depth

Bookcase Plans 05.jpg

Bookcase Plans 06.jpg

• Like 3

Agreed it is a small change but changes the tenor of the piece. These two are more tests the next ones (hopefully) will be keepers. I am thinking with a matching box sofa it would do the back wall of my small Greek Revival office building something like this. 

Room Wall Two.jpg

This is the crotch veneer I purchased just waiting on it to arrive. I will be using the crotch portion on the sides and top and the striped portion on the molding. At least that is the current plan sometimes reality intrudes

Bookcase Body Construction 21.jpg

• Like 1