Cricut Maker - the ultimate tool.....yay or nay???

Shareb

So glad to find this thread since I’ve wondered if other miniaturists use a Maker. As a scrapbooker, I’ve owned various Cricut machines since they first came out. I wasn’t excited about learning to use Cricut Design Space, but it was easy to learn & I absolutely love using it! Just a few days ago I told my hubby that I’d like to upgrade to the Maker now that I’m doing mini’s! We’re going to keep an eye out for the best Black Friday deal next month! :drool:

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, still_c said:

Oh I loved her blog so much. I waited for some new posts for all 2020. Do you know why there is only one post in 2020? Did she move to an new platform? 

She retired from blogging, though I'm pretty sure she still makes and sells her kits.  I know that Miniatures.com has them -- https://www.miniatures.com/112-Scale-Minis-by-Kris-Compas-C821.aspx

Jeanne

On 10/1/2019 at 8:44 PM, Shareb said:

My hubby however thinks that it's 'cheating' and uses less skill. 

"Cheating" is rather harsh.  Buying ready-made miniature moldings and furniture and draperies isn't "making them yourself" either, and certainly uses a lot less skill.

I see his point, mind you, having felt similar qualms when cutting multiple squares of fabric at once with a rotary cutter for piecing a quilt top -- is speed my goal here?  But everything you learn is improving your skills, and if you are more satisfied with your miniatures made with, let's call them short cuts, than without, then you're better off, aren't you!  And conversely, if carving a piece of wood or making a paper flower by hand feeds your soul, that is equally worthwhile. 

There is room for both even in the same person!

Jeanne

• Like 1

This seems like a very old thread now - certainly our thoughts have changed completely!  I have a Cricut Maker which I love and use often.  I now also have a resin printer which is amazing.  Each requires skill to design, shape, formulate what you need from it.  They are tools and I completely agree with you Jeanne and Susie - the more tools you have, the better you can create!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, Dalesq said:

I have an earlier model and have looked at upgrading to the Maker but haven’t done it yet. I don’t think you will be successful cutting plywood, but as John said, it may work for straight cuts.

I really like the Cricut and use it for all kinds of things including shingle strips. I’ve designed my own and it works great. I’ve also used the “print and cut” function for lots of little things (like books) and it works well. You just need to get used to using Cricut Design Space.

There are tons of online tutorials too. :cheezy:

Hey! I’d love to see how you’ve created the shingles! I’m trying to update my daughter’s Kidkraft dollhouse, and cannot find any printed vinyl with the look of a shingled roof! 

5 hours ago, MandyStan said:

Hey! I’d love to see how you’ve created the shingles! I’m trying to update my daughter’s Kidkraft dollhouse, and cannot find any printed vinyl with the look of a shingled roof! 

There’s  quite a few files on Etsy to purchase for dollhouse shingles that are cuttable on the Cricut - plywood will likely only ruin the blade and cause frustration… the thickest material is chipboard or 2mm basswood and even that is an endeavor and takes lots of time - I shingled a small house using black textured card stock and it came out great and super easy to apply! Best of luck! 

I agree with Qubanqtee. I used my Cricut to cut 3/32 basswood, which it says it would do. I guess I didn't calibrate the cutting blade correctly. It made too many passes and splintered the wood. Wood pieces got down in the roller bars. The online help said they do not have a repair shop to send it to. They generously gave me a  $50 coupon for my next Cricut machine purchase (generously said with extreme sarcasm). So since they declared it junk I am dismantling it to clear the roller bars myself. If I can't fix it then I will get a new one. So word of caution, when cutting wood DO NOT look away from the machine!

14 hours ago, MandyStan said:

I'm remodeling a kidcraft. I have pictures in my album. I'm redoing the Penelope. If you have a Cricut I did create a shingle file to cut shingles if you want it I could send it to you. I think cardstock would be too thin for 1/6 scale unless you glue some sheets together to get additional thickness. 

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Would you want to glue those layers before or after you cut the shingles?

I'm thinking after cutting. Who knows what a Cricut will do when trying to cut through dried glue? Most likely break.

That was also my thought.  When I make shingles out of sandpaper, heavy construction paper or cardstock (by hand; Cricut is too techy for me) I cut them into long strips the length of my shingle rows, them I cut them into widths about 3/4 of the way up or a bit more and if I need to glue another layer to make them more in scale it's easier to cut the second layer after the glue dries.

That was an old post!

I upgraded to a Maker a couple years ago, but I don’t use it to cut wood, even though it is rated to do so.

I designed shingle strips and cut them out of heavy card stock. I paint, texture, stain, etc the strips and make sure they are thoroughly dry before applying them. I recently used this technique on my Lapin Lavande bash. You can see photos on my Instagram page. 
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuLJA5hvfWe/?img_index=1

• Like 1