Tinkerbelle

Hi everyone. Planning a project to begin early December as I will be participating in National Writing Month in November but am planning on going to a miniatures fair at the end. I am planning on picking up things for the project while I am there.

I am planning a story about the bookstore and it is set in a quaint English village. The idea i am working with right now is that it either started off a part of a french chateau that had burned down and the lord of the area had found it and brought bricks and doorways back. I just don't know if it would look wrong in an english village. My other thought was that it had been an English Folly that had been relocated from the grounds of a manor house to the village and turned into a store. 

I had thought that the owner could live on the upper floors. But now i am in love with a cottage that they could live in. The owner will be a writer. 

And then as Audrey Hepburn is my idol and I love Funny Face i thought i could sorta make the bookstore look like the one in the movie. With a reading room on a  mezzanine or second floor.   http://blog.paperblanks.com/2013/04/movie-bookshops-funny-face/   

But I can't seem to decide. 

Originally I was going to choose this one  https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/la-belle-boutique-1/48th.html  as my bookstore. This would be the old chateau and my first instinct was "I love it!" But the more I look at it the more i question. It would be hard to make it look Audrey. I could remove the shutters and balconies to look more English. 

The other one would be this one  https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/no-2-station-road-double-fronted-shop-1/48th.html This would be the old Victorian Folly. I can see so many possibilities and it could be turned to look like the store in Funny Face. But i did not have the same reaction as the first one. 

This is the cottage that I will be doing probably as the writer's house if i end up doing the second floor as a reading nook.  https://www.petitepropertiesltd.com/august-cottage.html Or I may make it a tearoom. 

Any help would be appreciated :)  Struggling so much to decide as I like them both but only room for one. 

If this dilemma were mine (and I'm glad it is not!), I'd print out pictures of both and pin them where I would see them every day. Not an in-your-face place but sort of like background noise.You have some time before you have to order them for a December start. Let them work on you as you write the story. By the time you need to order, I'm betting one or the other will have worked its way into your imagination. You will hear it screaming, "Buy me! Buy me!" 

Or the story will have changed considerably and neither one will work. :dunno: Only time will tell. This isn't a decision that can be made with pure logic. The house must have its say.

My input - an English lord would not be likely to import parts of an old French chateau, he'd be more likely to bring home parts of a Roman villa. La Belle Boutique is very French, 2 Station Rd is very English. Moving a folly from an estate into a village to use as a shop would probably be a folly, as it would be a small one room building, which, if it had an upper storey, that would be incredibly small. August cottage makes me think of a small vicarage.

Sit back, relax, don't overthink it, the kits will be waiting, you may stumble onto the perfect vision at any time, or maybe even a better inspirational building.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KathieB said:

You have some time before you have to order them for a December start. Let them work on you as you write the story. By the time you need to order, I'm betting one or the other will have worked its way into your imagination. You will hear it screaming, "Buy me! Buy me!" 

15 hours ago, KathieB said:

Yeah i am actually planning this in much more detail than i would normally do! much smaller scale and once i start i can't easy change things so it needs to be clear.  The story and my imagination will for sure help me make a decision.  If it not's screaming "Buy me! i will probably be at the stage of "I need this!"  "I have to have it!"  

13 hours ago, grazhina said:

Sit back, relax, don't overthink it

thanks i will try. i know i am overthinking it. just with research for the novel i wanted to have a clear idea about how the shop looks and an interesting history. but i will relax and let it come as naturally as it can

12 hours ago, biomom said:

www.petworthminiatures.com

i do like that website but i prefer my dollhouses to be front opening rather than the back being open. not sure how easy that would be to change them. but thanks for the idea