Questions about smell

Ok, I know this may sound like a totally strange question... I’ve been sick the past few months and the doctors are narrowing things down and suspected fibromyalgia. Smells have been bothering me. Things that never have before, like MDF outgassing and some other things like quick hold and some paints. Things I’ve used 1000 times 

I have built lots of real good toys and housework’s and have worked with them for years but just can’t handle it lately so I have been looking at a few Greenleaf kits and wondering about the smell/outgassing or any issues. The last dollhouse I bought was Melissa and Doug (House that jack built) and the plywood smell was terribly strong. I’m sure it’s glue used to hold layers together?

Is anyone else sensitive to smells that might have an opinion on this? I don’t want to seal every single piece and I have looked into constructing my entire house out of foam board but not sure I want to do that. I’d love to build one of these beautiful kits 

Would love some tips or suggestions. Thanks in advance xx Dani 

I can't really help, other than to suggest maybe trying to spray the sheets of wood with a little Febreze or sprinkle some activated charcoal into the opened box & close it back up for a couple of days.  All wood contains chemicals that smell, and processed woods contain extra chemicals.  You might also consider a mask.  I really like that new kit smell, but I haven't developed the kind of odor sensitivity you're describing.

Thank you. I haven’t ever built a greenleaf so I’m not sure if the smell and dust is as bad as with mdf. It seems lately that the mdf just closes my throat up. I know a lot of people hate using it for various reasons, allergies being one. Things like unfinished wood doors and windows, shingles, posts and craft bass wood strips  (from Houesworks, Classics and other places) don’t bother me at all. 

I never would have thought about putting activated charcoal in the box. 

I don't like the smell of MDF either (among other things about MDF that turn me off).  I grew up in West Palm Beach, FL, and whenever we hit a beach I have a container on hand to collect seashells, sand dollars and sea urchin casings, and sometimes there are residual odors that  become unpleasant; activated charcoal, whilst waiting on the ants outside to do their job (the hubs worked in a shell store in his youth), rakes care of the stink.

Greenleaf dollhouses do not smell like MDF. It’s made using lanai (not sure if this is the correct name) wood. I think it’s steam pressed together since I’ve never seen any signs of glue. It just smells like wood, not nasty adhesives.

I agree with Sable, the Greenleaf die cut kits smell like wood. An older kit purchased off eBay or Craigslist might have a musty smell depending on how it's been stored. The newer laser cut kits might have a charred smell from the way they're cut.

I suggest buying straight from Greenleaf since you'll get the newest stock that way. Maybe start with a small/inexpensive one to see how you react to it.

21 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I don't like the smell of MDF either (among other things about MDF that turn me off).  I grew up in West Palm Beach, FL, and whenever we hit a beach I have a container on hand to collect seashells, sand dollars and sea urchin casings, and sometimes there are residual odors that  become unpleasant; activated charcoal, whilst waiting on the ants outside to do their job (the hubs worked in a shell store in his youth), rakes care of the stink.

Thank you, I will definitely try that. We lived in Vero Beach for a few years and just loved it. I don’t like the weight of the MDF houses at all but the dust and smell even with a mask bothers me 

21 hours ago, Sable said:

Greenleaf dollhouses do not smell like MDF. It’s made using lanai (not sure if this is the correct name) wood. I think it’s steam pressed together since I’ve never seen any signs of glue. It just smells like wood, not nasty adhesives.

Great! I’m happy to know this. That’s why I asked here because I hadn’t had one yet so I wasn’t sure. I did put a die cut kit together that a friend of mine makes and had no issues. It was also heat pressed 

18 hours ago, fov said:

I agree with Sable, the Greenleaf die cut kits smell like wood. An older kit purchased off eBay or Craigslist might have a musty smell depending on how it's been stored. The newer laser cut kits might have a charred smell from the way they're cut.

I suggest buying straight from Greenleaf since you'll get the newest stock that way. Maybe start with a small/inexpensive one to see how you react to it.

Thank you. Yes I will order directly from Greenleaf. I bought a different kit on eBay once and even though it was just wood it was very warped from years of heat and possibly water damage 

Good idea starting with a small one just to see if it bothers me. I’d have gone with a big one lol 

Well once you've built the small one with no ill effects, finish it nicely, donate it to Toys for Tots or some other children's charity, and go for the big one that calls your name; or keep the little one to serve as servant housing for the family in the big house.

I believe this is a Primrose with the  roof turned. I’ve done this type of bash before. You do need to have the tools to cut out new doors and windows. 
http://www.cinderellamoments.com/2019/09/beach-blessings-cottage-custom-dollhouse.html?m=1

My dollhouse club made an entire street scene for our annual show using Primrose kits:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7783

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I believe this is a Primrose with the  roof turned. I’ve done this type of bash before. You do need to have the tools to cut out new doors and windows. 
http://www.cinderellamoments.com/2019/09/beach-blessings-cottage-custom-dollhouse.html?m=1

My dollhouse club made an entire street scene for our annual show using Primrose kits:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7783

I’m not sure what you mean about turning the roof since I haven’t seen it in person but I have saws and plenty of tools. I’ve been building custom room boxes for years (just quit last year) so cutting new openings would be ok if I could just get a plan 

I’d love to work on a small one like that 

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Well once you've built the small one with no ill effects, finish it nicely, donate it to Toys for Tots or some other children's charity, and go for the big one that calls your name; or keep the little one to serve as servant housing for the family in the big house.

That’s a great idea 

1 hour ago, Jggypsyheartminis said:

I’m not sure what you mean about turning the roof since I haven’t seen it in person but I have saws and plenty of tools. I’ve been building custom room boxes for years (just quit last year) so cutting new openings would be ok if I could just get a plan 

If you look at the links I posted Of the standard kit, you will see that the front door is on the hip side of the roof. If you want the front door to be on the gable side you would need to cut out new openings and install a new side wall and eliminate the the opposing side wall which would now become the rear opening. That sounds way too confusing but it’s easily done if you have the right tools.

2 hours ago, Sable said:

If you look at the links I posted Of the standard kit, you will see that the front door is on the hip side of the roof. If you want the front door to be on the gable side you would need to cut out new openings and install a new side wall and eliminate the the opposing side wall which would now become the rear opening. That sounds way too confusing but it’s easily done if you have the right tools.

Would it work best to buy two kits to have an additional side wall? Or just use different wood from the hardware store? This is a wonderful idea

and yes I’m going to check the links out now that I have a minute 

Edited by Jggypsyheartminis

4 hours ago, Jggypsyheartminis said:

Michael’s and Hobby Lobby have birch plywood sheets in the same thickness as the GL kits. That’s what I used. I also suggest purchasing a working door from HL too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sable said:
16 hours ago, Sable said:

Michael’s and Hobby Lobby have birch plywood sheets in the same thickness as the GL kits. That’s what I used. I also suggest purchasing a working door from HL too. 

Sable, I have a stack of doors laying around so that’s not an issue at all. What does everyone usually do for siding? Craft sticks or real siding sheets from houseworks? 

I’ve always used the siding strips boards. But you must use a non water based adhesive. I use dots of Liquid Nails construction adhesive. However, I always want a clean “new” construction look. Craft sticks work well if you don’t mind the seams.

Ive also used corrugated cardboard, stucco (premixed grout), a board and batten treatment...

On 10/13/2019, 9:28:37, Sable said:

I’ve always used the siding strips boards. But you must use a non water based adhesive. I use dots of Liquid Nails construction adhesive. However, I always want a clean “new” construction look. Craft sticks work well if you don’t mind the seams.

Ive also used corrugated cardboard, stucco (premixed grout), a board and batten treatment...

I like the shabby look so the sticks seams wouldnt bother me however I find the siding strips 100% easier to use 

i have never used liquid nails, does it work well for shingles too? I have always used quick grip but the smell/fumes are awful. They even bother my daughter