Long Journey Back

Medieval

Hello! I don't normally do blogs or forums, so I may do something wrong like accidentally post the same thing twice!  I joined though because after reading and watching videos on line I realized I wanted something more specific and supportive, a place to ask questions, find answers, and someday share ideas. 

I actually built two Greenleaf kits with my grandma when I was 12, many many years ago. She was on a budget but managed to save money to buy furniture from a catalog. It was fun. So when I realized I would have extra time with an upcoming empty nest, I decided I wanted to try my hand at this again.

So I've been spending time clearing and organizing my sewing/crocheting/cross stitching room to make room for a dollhouse building area.  After reading this blog I think my room will not be big enough.  I've slowly added tools like a miter box and cutting mat and paper cutter as well as other things. I bought the Arthur as my starting point, and then was given a partially built Pierce. A day later my son's new landlord gave him the Addison (I think). He still has to bring it home in the box. So I have a lot to pick from, but decided to tackle the partially built Pierce  first.

This site is chock full of ideas! I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here. I plan on documenting my progress with my cell phone, but the forum asked if I have a digital camera. Is there a difference?

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Jess.  I just finished replying to your question about cleaning your plywood Pierce.  The Arthur was the first dollhouse the forum's building team built & blogged; I let my middle daughter-in-law have it for her niece and built a McKinley for her.  I joined the forum fourteen years ago, so you're right about there being a lot of information.  I think after the last few updates the search feature only retrieves information within the preceding year.  The question about the digital camera is from back before so many people had phones with photo-taking functions.  Once you have made five posts you can start making albums to put your photos in; after 50 posts you can make a blog.

I do needlework all over the house, but I build dollhouses in the workshop.  Before we moved I built them in the little sunroom off our bedroom  So long as you have room for a table you're OK.

Thanks! I've spent a lot of time in the gallery, just amazed at the creativity. Im going to like it here. I appreciate your response. As far as the room - a lot of references to, well not hoarding, but pack ratting. Im a teacher so I already have the gene. Lol. I still think once I really get going the room won't be big enough for all my stuff! But I'll make it work! And you're right. I have a table and a shelf and containers. I can't wait till I can start cleaning the house and then priming!

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Well howdy do back at you, Bill; you've been awfully quiet lately.

Hi Holly!

It has been a long time :( 

Things have been a bit crazy here. I am unfortunately going through a divorce at the moment. I am thankful that this is probably the most amicable divorce on record and my wife and I will remain friends! Trying to iron out the details have left me a bit less creative as of late. I really want to get back onto the trailer and hope to in a week or so. I did go to the Miniature show here and get some cool things :)  I will post pictures this weekend! 

I'm finally starting to see some light at the end of this tunnel. I can't wait to get back at it and share my progress with you and all the other fine folks here!

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I apologize for temporarily hijacking your thread, Jess.  Ken is one of our many, many valuable resources who doesn't pop up all that often.

Jess I would like to apologize as well. Holly I'm sorry for dropping that on you:ermm:

Okay. Back to the current topic at hand! :) 

On 10/19/2019, 7:26:15, havanaholly said:

I apologize for temporarily hijacking your thread, Jess.  Ken is one of our many, many valuable resources who doesn't pop up all that often.

Not a hijack. This is a community, no? Sorry to here of your troubles Ken. But better times are always ahead of the bad ones.

Welcome Jess!  You will love it here. Gosh I didn't know searches were only going back a year Holly. No wonder my last search didn't bring the usual. oh well we will just all have to stay on top of it all :) 

And welcome back Bill!

I am still not sure who Ken is but will keep searching this thread. I am old.  And my computer might be haunted who knows around this old house! 

Yes so much to see and learn and share. Getting good feedback is always good for us too.