Heat Gun Advice

Medieval

Evening! My DH lent me his BernzOMatic butane torch with a diffuser. The glue is getting tacky in one spot. But there is glue on all four sided of the tower roof. Lol. I thought I'd start with something easy to replace, small too, if I burned it. It lasted all of 5 minutes. So my question is:  Is there a heat gun you use that is electric? Does Wal-Mart carry what you have? I looked today and did not see anything in the craft section. But that is as far as I got. Hobby Lobby and similar stores 45 minutes away. Not happening tonight. Lol. Thanks for any advice! 

I use my hubs' old Black+Decker heat gun, which is electric.  You do need to turn it off and let it cool a bit before laying it down to scrape on the melted glue, unless you happen to have a stand to set it on.  Fortunately the piece of wood I accidently charred was scrap and not a kit part.

This house was built by someone who used hot glue like caulk to winterize the house for a WNY winter! (Grumble, grumble). And it was done over  10 years ago...no picking the glue off. Hard as a rock seconds after removing heat gun. Lol.

20191023_194445.jpg

20191023_194416.jpg

Thanks Holly! I matched edges with pencil. I think I will have to do dry fit and trace wall placement and trim placement after the glue is removed.  There is so much in spots that my pencil can't follow along the wall. Baseboard would stick out a lot. So I am glad I am doing this process.  And I am learning I do not need to apply massive amounts of wood glue when I reassemble....or at least wipe up any that oozes out before it dries.

I sometimes run a bead of white glue along joints for extra strength. Capillary action pulls it into the hair's breath space between wall-to-wall and wall-to-floor (or ceiling) joints. Glue that isn't pulled inside tends to dry flat, so does not interfere with baseboards, ceiling trim, etc.

• Like 1

I have a heat gun I use in card making. It is for embossing. They get really really hot.  You could get them at many craft stores I would guess. Here is one I found for you on Amazon, if nothing else to help you know what to look for. You can get them pretty cheap, like this one is only $17.00 They are small and lightweight. 11 inches long

Good luck with your house. That is quite a project .......I had a house my daughter built and used a glue gun and it just snapped apart easily. I re did it with wood glue.Sorry this photo is so big. wasn't sure if the link would work so went ahead and put the photo of it. 

https://www.amazon.com/American-Crafts-Zap-Embossing-Heat/dp/B002TM68OE

71VJj-IB%2B-L._SL1500_.jpg