Tin ceiling

Medieval

Hope you are well!  I've been immersing myself in research.  I decided I would like to use a tin ceiling in the living and dining room areas of my Pierce re-build.  I was unable to find anything that someone else has done in the mini chat or gallery.

I was thinking that maybe I can use a stencil to emboss card stock - maybe find card stock that is shiny and copper-colored.  Then repeat the pattern for the whole ceiling.  

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it worked or not before I buy supplies to try it myself. Thanks!

HBS (Hobby Builders Supply) carries a plastic sheet that can be painted with shiny copper paint. See it here.  They also carry a white medallion paper that could be used. See it here

I believe there are other patterns available elsewhere. Perhaps someone else can add them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Medieval said:

I only hit the submit button once!  

It doesn't seem to matter; some days the submit button hiccups.

36 minutes ago, Medieval said:

Hope you are well!  I've been immersing myself in research.  I decided I would like to use a tin ceiling in the living and dining room areas of my Pierce re-build.  I was unable to find anything that someone else has done in the mini chat or gallery.

I was thinking that maybe I can use a stencil to emboss card stock - maybe find card stock that is shiny and copper-colored.  Then repeat the pattern for the whole ceiling.  

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it worked or not before I buy supplies to try it myself. Thanks!

I have used anaglyptic wallpaper and motives from paper lace doilies to make embossed ceilings.  For the downstairs ceiling of my Brimble's Mercantile (still under construction) I simulated a tin ceiling (no photos).  I laid out a grid with 1/4" stripwood and in the centers of every other grid I glued a flower shaped sequin with a flattish bead in the center.  Then I primed and painted the whole mess white and Mr Brimble pronounced it satisfactory.

• Like 1

I thought about something similar.  I can't remember who, but they used the wood that they punched out from the Pierce staircase railings, inverted it and glued it to the staircase base before painting the whole thing white.  It looked pretty good.  This sounds like the same idea with different materials and same result.  So many different ways to skin a cat...or decorate a room!  I think my hardest thing is to pick one and go with it.  So I have called in the big guns.  My mom is a master interior decorator.  She puts Martha Steward to shame.  She's coming to "consult" with me on making final decor decisions, or I will research forever and never make a move. lol

I have an embosser - and used it with foil paper and I loved the look. However, I have always thought I'd do a "painted tin tile" ceiling - so I never fretted much about metal finish. Embossers are great and there are a lot of options for patterns.

I have a lot of patterns - I find myself liking the Spellbinder brand the best for minis - but anything can work. I also really like patterns like this for ceilings - 

NCraft-Embossing-folders-EM055-Plastic-E

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0718/6789/products/30023114_d304e042-c134-4dc8-aaf3-30ec7a2ebd6a_480x480.jpg?v=1533747776

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0077/4562/products/E116.jpg?v=1498576157

So may options! Have fun!

You can buy thin metal sheets for embossing using a Cricut or Silhouette.  Those can work for tin ceilings.  You could probably emboss those by hand with a stencil as well. This is a tin ceiling I embossed with my Silhouette for a railroad car.TinCeiling.jpg.18752b29a40363bdea42b961c

• Like 6

1 hour ago, thelornybin said:

There is so much to learn!  @KathieB you are a wealth of knowledge!  

Lorna, we all started out not knowing much. We learn from one another and from experimentation. Having a wealth of knowledge is mainly the child of longevity. Holly and I may be the oldest living forum members, but even we learn something new on a regular basis. That's one of the joys of this obsession hobby, learning new techniques. Some folks like to make things from scratch and others are for shopping for finished items and still others make some things, buy some things. You'll find your niche. :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KathieB said:

...Holly and I may be the oldest living forum members, but even we learn something new on a regular basis....

That we may be; I started out when I was 50 for a diversion from care plans whilst doing Nursing School.  Most of that "wealth of knowledge" comes from learning the hard way how not to do it and what does (or doesn't) work.  Also, us old'ns are firm believers in smoke & mirrors.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Medieval said:

One thing I noticed is even the suggestion or hint of something is enough where a full replication would be too much for a smaller scale.

Bingo!  That's the smoke and mirrors effect. It doesn't have to be real to look realistic. :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

That's one of the joys of this obsession hobby, learning new techniques. Some folks like to make things from scratch and others are for shopping for finished items and still others make some things, buy some things. You'll find your niche. :) 

I’m a serial diy’er!  I'm pretty sure I know where I'll end up!   I’ve been building full size furniture for 10 years so ummmmm I’m already brainstorming mini furniture!

I started out putting the furniture kits together, but a lot of times space constraints require making furniture to fit.  After I made almost all the furniture in my Fairfields I just continued merrily into 1:12 scale.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I started out putting the furniture kits together, but a lot of times space constraints require making furniture to fit.  After I made almost all the furniture in my Fairfields I just continued merrily into 1:12 scale.

I have plans to make my own or assemble from a kit. I'm already looking at objects I come across and think "how can I use that?". Lol. I'd like to make as much myself as possible rather than buy. IMO that is the most fun! And I am not in any rush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

...I'm already looking at objects I come across and think "how can I use that?". Lol. I'd like to make as much myself as possible rather than buy. IMO that is the most fun! And I am not in any rush.

Do try to acquire Patricia King's books:  https://www.amazon.com/Making-Victorian-Dolls-House-Furniture/dp/0946819564https://www.amazon.com/Dolls-House-Fireplaces-Stoves-Patricia/dp/1861081057

I used her latter book to make this stove from scraps of card, plastic cocktail picks, a disposable razor blade packet, bits from an old wristwatch and bits of wooden tongue blade.

5db1a1b61bec7-ministove-Edited.jpg

• Like 1