Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sofa

6 posts in this topic

To go with the bookcases I am doing a small box sofa. Essentially it will follow the same construction methods so I won't show most of the steps. Conceptually it is similar to the Phyfe box sofa but the base is more in keeping with the bookcases I did. Obviously the main difference will be the upholstery so when I get to that part I will show it in more depth

Phyfe Box Sofa.png

Sofa Plan 01.jpg

1 person likes this

Are you going with the leather upholstery?

I didn't forget this one just getting the materials together. I wasn't happy with the mahogany either the base wood or the veneer. The grain on the wood is too large and even filled just doesn't work as well as I wanted and the figure in the crotch veneer, which looks so good as a 8" x 12" piece is lost in 1/4" and 1/2" chunks. For the base wood this time I am trying cherry which has a nice tight frain, even tighter than walnut, and requires almost no filling, and for the veneer I bought some madrone burl which I think even in strips will provide the look I want. I have scoped out the base and top molding and am ordering some of the wood to size to make it easier this time

Molding 01.jpg

s-l1600.jpg