Sofa

jaxenro

To go with the bookcases I am doing a small box sofa. Essentially it will follow the same construction methods so I won't show most of the steps. Conceptually it is similar to the Phyfe box sofa but the base is more in keeping with the bookcases I did. Obviously the main difference will be the upholstery so when I get to that part I will show it in more depth

Phyfe Box Sofa.png

Sofa Plan 01.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't forget this one just getting the materials together. I wasn't happy with the mahogany either the base wood or the veneer. The grain on the wood is too large and even filled just doesn't work as well as I wanted and the figure in the crotch veneer, which looks so good as a 8" x 12" piece is lost in 1/4" and 1/2" chunks. For the base wood this time I am trying cherry which has a nice tight frain, even tighter than walnut, and requires almost no filling, and for the veneer I bought some madrone burl which I think even in strips will provide the look I want. I have scoped out the base and top molding and am ordering some of the wood to size to make it easier this time

Molding 01.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

While I am waiting on my order of Cherry from S H Goode to come in I set up a test strip to test the finish I am using this time. I glued veneer to a 1/4" strip of 1/8" mahogany and sanded with 120, 240, and 320 grit paper (top), then applied one coat of alkanet root oil (middle) and the first of many coats of garnet shellac (bottom). Hopefully this will give me an idea of what the finished piece will look like once I get all the coats of shellac on it

thumbnail.jpg