Philadelphia Miniaturia

Philadelphia Miniaturia 2019 is November 8-10 and since I live in Philly I'm considering going. Question though -- what should I expect? I don't think I'm interested in any of the workshops but should I perhaps be a little more open minded about that? If I just attend during the general admission hours on Saturday the 9th will I be missing all the good stuff? Any insight from past year's attendees would be much appreciated!

I haven't been to the Philly show, but I would reconsider attending a workshop. The classes are usually well worth the time and price. The artisans offer so many tips and techniques as well as where to buy the things they use in their mini making. Plus, you really get know people during the class. It is my favorite part of the shows.

I also recommend paying the price for the preview show. It is usually less crowded and the good stuff is still available.

At any rate, attend!!!!! Support the industry and enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

I love going to the Philly show!  I am never able to attend the workshops, sadly....but maybe someday I will be able to take some extra days off work and go!!  I generally go on a Saturday or Sunday to spend all of my money. LOL  SO many wonderful vendors and little treasures to be found!  :clap:

I live in Lancaster County, so I have only a little over an hour to drive, but dang....if you live in the area- DEF plan to attend!!

Wear comfortable shoes, water and I always take a lunch along to save a few pennies (and there is only 1 restaurant option).

My first show was a treat to myself. I flew from Miami to London for three days just to go to the London Show. Since it was my first show, I went prepared. I familiarized myself with the vendors and mapped out the ones that offered items on my shopping list. I bought gutters and ironworks for my Betsy Ross House, Real Roof Slate for a future build, lovely wide planked oak flooring and variety other necessities on my list. Go with a budget, a plan and a shopping list. Save the workshops for next year. 

• Like 1

I attended the Philly show a few years back, and have been trying to get back ever since. It's good to take a friend who will hold you wallet for you, otherwise you may be in for a shock when you see your bank statement:eek: Oodles of fun and very nice people

• 2 weeks later...

I went this year and was kind of disappointed... I haven’t gone in a few years and the new venue was in the middle of nowhere so no good restaurants nearby. It seemed a lot smaller this year, although maybe it was just because the main room was larger and other vendors were located down hallways? Anyone else feel the same?  I overheard one person saying there was too much pre fabricated and 3d printed and stuff like that versus hand crafted stuff available. Of course it was worth it to see some of the builds  and so much talent in one space. But I might wait to go again until the venue changes. 

1 hour ago, Intrinsicat said:

I went this year and was kind of disappointed... I haven’t gone in a few years and the new venue was in the middle of nowhere so no good restaurants nearby. It seemed a lot smaller this year, although maybe it was just because the main room was larger and other vendors were located down hallways? Anyone else feel the same?  I overheard one person saying there was too much pre fabricated and 3d printed and stuff like that versus hand crafted stuff available. Of course it was worth it to see some of the builds  and so much talent in one space. But I might wait to go again until the venue changes. 

Many of the past vendors have retired and few are replacing them. It’s very difficult to get vendors to attend shows, now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had attended the Philly show for several years (I only live over an hour away) and have noticed a steady decline in the number of vendors.  There used to be 3 large rooms filled with vendors plus the hallway beside the ballroom.  Although it is sad to see such a decline, I love the quality of vendors at this show-and save my pennies each year to purchase "something special" for myself. :clap: