Greenleaf Pierce

thelornybin

Hi Lorna! "Restore?" Is the house built and needs to be restored or is it still a kit in a box and needs to be built? If the latter, I'd suggest building the kit before doing a scratch house. You'll learn a lot about the mechanics of building by doing a kit. Even if it is built, restoring it will give you insight into how these houses work. I'd do the Pierce first, hold off on the scratch-built until you have more experience.

16 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Hi Lorna! "Restore?" Is the house built and needs to be restored or is it still a kit in a box and needs to be built? If the latter, I'd suggest building the kit before doing a scratch house. You'll learn a lot about the mechanics of building by doing a kit. Even if it is built, restoring it will give you insight into how these houses work. I'd do the Pierce first, hold off on the scratch-built until you have more experience.

Sorry let me clarify.

The Pierce is a complete unopened box that I bought last night.

Some 30 years ago I inherited my grandmothers doll house which I wish to restore and redo.  

so I wasn't sure if there was significant insight I could glean from building the kit and doing the Pierce first that would be helpful in the restoration and rebuild of my Grandmothers house.

72886940_10159088255927571_1411012561939202048_n.jpg.8bbda4d5005b419ea17800b6be5e2bf3.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KathieB said:

and by build from scratch I mean from the kit vs the one sitting in my office that is completed and needs a lot of work.

Lorna, I would go ahead and carefully build the Pierce first, as that will give you a lot of insight into how to proceed on your rehab.  A lot of members have built the Pierce and blogged about it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification. I don't believe it makes much difference which one you work on first. Go with the one that is hollering the loudest. Either way, it's one step at a time, and we are here to answer questions and get you through any sticky bits. :) 

• Like 1

I'd go with Grandma's refurb. You will see returns faster - finish a room, and put some furniture in it to play around...I would refurb over scratch any day - but that is because I dislike building structures and prefer furnishing/decorating.

• Like 1

First off - fantastic score!!!  You got that for a great price - well done you!  Secondly, 'scratch build' is the term miniaturists use when talking about building something literally from nothing.  Ie I'm building a rabbit burrow and built the whole structure myself from my own plans.

I started the Pierce in I think either 2014 or 2015.  If any of the plans are missing I'm happy to help - I can email them through as pictures just as I have with a few others on the forum.  I still haven't finished the house.  Because it was my first 1:12, I shouldn't have gone for such a big house.  I rushed ahead with confidence and bravado and didn't do too badly - until it came to the outside!  :D  Now I look at the house - still not quite finished, and think of how differently I would do things with these 4-5 years of experience.  Before writing this I was going to suggest doing the Pierce but now I've talked myself round to thinking you should do the restore. :dunno:  :doh:

6 to one, half dozen to the other.  If you do the Pierce it gives you knowledge and understanding of how things fit together and the little things that you don't see underneath a decorated house.  If you do the restore it will more gently lead you into an understanding of what comes after the build!  I agree with Kathie - if one makes you feel heavy and the other makes you feel excited and light - go with that one!  Looking forward to see your progress on both projects!

• Like 1

Lorna I'm having the same interior debate. Do I put the Pierce I'm disassembling away and do an easier, smaller one to get my feet wet or jump into the Pierce? I have an Arthur and a Madison to choose. I waffle everyday. I decided to wait till it was down to the base before making a final decision. For me it's choosing the decor. I can't decide. I've looked at tons on this forum...and can't decide. I think there is no wrong choice. Someone said whatever makes you feel lighter. Maybe whichever one you can clearly envision more?