Next dollhouse??

CTYankee79

Just finished my first dollhouse, a haunted Orchid. I'm already looking for my next one. There's 3 things I know I want: a laser cut Greenleaf house, a Real Good Toys house, and a colonial house (because I grew up in one). 

So I'm thinking either the laser cut Jefferson or Tennyson. If I do the Tennyson I would get one of New England colonials from RGT. If I do the Jefferson I would pick a different house from RGT. I want 1" scale. 

The Orchid was awesome for the price but really took a lot of work to get it finished, a lot of flaws with the wood. I mean what can you expect for the price? So as much as I don't want to spend so much more $ I'm guessing the laser cut and the RGT houses will be a lot easier to assemble and finish, and look that much better. 

Anybody have thoughts on that?

• Like 1

Remember that laser cutting chars the wood, so you will want to clean the edges of the soot.  If you have a choice with the RGT go with wood; MDF is heavy and IMO much more involved in getting it to finish nicely.

• Like 1

I've done a few of the laser cuts, and I love them.  There is almost no sanding or splinters.  As Holly mentioned, the edges are a bit sooty, but it's worth it to not have to do all of the sanding, trimming, etc.  The wood also seems to be a bit sturdier.  I've saved the scrap and used it for a lot of other things.  The houses go together so easy that I put my Emerson Row together before I even thought about decorating  the rooms.

• Like 2

Laser cut kits are hard to beat IMO. I love them and I can't do the sanding required with a die cut kit. I also think the fit is better so assembly is easier. Greenleaf has several one inch scale kits available in laser cut. 
Another advantage is the GL lasercut kits are lightweight plywood. As Holly pointed out, MDF is heavy, and I think it’s more difficult to work with.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Remember that laser cutting chars the wood, so you will want to clean the edges of the soot.  If you have a choice with the RGT go with wood; MDF is heavy and IMO much more involved in getting it to finish nicely.

And if you don't and you're using superglue, well that soot is gonna be stuck on your fingers for a while...

5 hours ago, LPCullen said:

And if you don't and you're using superglue, well that soot is gonna be stuck on your fingers for a while...

It also sticks to your fingers using regular glue, only that peels off a whole lot less painfully.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Acetone is good for releasing super glues......

I have used some super glues that acetone didn't do it; and no matter how careful I am I still manage to get super glue on me as well as what I'm gluing.  At least now I usually manage NOT to have me and what I'm gluing in direct contact.

I always keep a bottle of debonder nearby...if you’re not stuck to anything (except thumb to finger) soak your hands in warm water. I rarely use thin CA glue anymore, that stuff is downright dangerous. 

I have experience building RC aircraft and they are all laser cut nowadays. Happy to hear that dollhouses benefit from the precision too. 

Thanks for the input, and it’s good to know about the MDF. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear positive feedback on laser cut kits, I'm on the fence buying one (Brimbles Mercantile) but I really wanted an older traditional one. I missed out on one on eBay because it was an open box kit, but I "ran into" the lady that bought it in a Facebook group we're both in and she said it was all there and in perfect shape....soooo....I give up I just want it and I may just get it for myself as a xmas gift LOL.