HBS Halloween contest

stickyfingers

Right? I feel bad for the people that did some really nice work, and are hardly getting any votes. Also, a little disappointing to not see HBS posting all of the entries on their Facebook page. When the contest started, it disappeared from the website. I entered, never expected to win, but...wow. 

• Like 1

I never expected to win either. The votes I got mean the world to me more so than any gift certificate. Was it like this in years past? Or have they done this before? Never followed anything other than their yearly contest before. 

• Like 2

I entered, but I'm not sure why, as I had no intention of campaigning for support. I don't think any on-line open contest can possibly be decided on the merits when it is all too easy to get friends and relatives to and even social media acquaintances to stuff the ballot box, so to speak. I'm not saying that that is what the winner did, just my observation.

The best part of the contest was that I ended up with a cute haunted vignette to enjoy in the run-up to the big day. :) 

• Like 3

My entry was "The Ofrenda". I am just so, so happy with it, I don't care if I didn't win. I made a Dia de los Muertos alter...not my usual fare. I did a lot of research on the holiday, and tried to make the build culturally accurate. I made almost all of it myself, and the few accessories I bought, most of those I painted or altered to suit the build. I learned how to work with polymer clay (a first!) and made most of the food myself. I costumed my Catrinas, and painted their faces. I made sugar skulls. I made the flower swag and the papel picado. I made the table and the crates. I made the floor out of an egg carton and drywall mud. I strung the lights. I made the angel statue and some of the candle holders. This took me months, and hundreds of hours to complete. The last day that I worked on it, I had intended to just "glue some things down" and ended up spending another 8 hours tweaking it and getting everything just so. When it was finally done, I was just ecstatic. This was such a huge accomplishment for me on so many levels, that I will treasure it, winner or not.   

• Like 3

The entries were wonderful for the most part. I liked yours and I like it even more now hearing its backstory. I think I burned some fingerprints off bending/ melting my skeletons into position. I voted for my favorites as well. Do you think Momo In The Apothecary is a live flying squirrel or taxidermy? I enjoyed every moment of recreating my bingo hall and haunting it. I too left it where I could see and enjoy it every day. I hope no one was discouraged by the results of the contest. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FurMama said:

I think I burned some fingerprints off bending/ melting my skeletons into position.

I positioned my skeleton by slicing joints with a sharp exacto knife, moving them into the appropriate position, and gluing. I think melting would be a lot harder, at least for me. Closeups of my skellies here (scroll down the page for individual portraits)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

... slicing joints with a sharp exacto knife, moving them into the appropriate position, and gluing. I think melting would be a lot harder, at least for me. 

Yes I do think that would have been easier! Thank you! I will try that for the next haunting. I'm planning a putt-putt course for the mini village and I can just see the skellies returning for its grand opening! 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...