mirror finish

blueirishmoon

Has anyone ever tried to make a piece of furniture with a mirror finish? Krylon makes a paint but it's supposed to only be used on glass, so I'm reluctant to buy and try. Is there a metallic paint that's almost as good? I'm thinking of making a little nightstand with a mirrored surface, but admit to some puzzlement on the execution part.

I have seen some videos on YouTube and there may have been a thread once on here not sure, memory is getting worse by the nanosecond. I think they all used a mirrored card or mirrored cardstock like in scrapbooking or card making. I picked up one of those little shiny mini Christmas Village skating ponds at Walmart yesterday to experiment with cutting for a mirror but it may be too thick for what you want. 

I have seen samples of mirrored acrylic sheets that are 1/8" thick (.062 cm) and can be cut to size. Personally I don't see much difference between cutting glass or acrylic, but someone else may be more comfortable with one or the other.

I used this product yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised how mirror-like it was. It's  still not as good as a glass mirror obviously, but it does reflect images rather than just appear silver and shiny

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044S5KFE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

I clicked this link, scrolled down the page to the Customers who viewed this product also viewed section, and found some other materials with even more of a "real" mirror finish. 

How big? I know the car modelers use chrome pens for replacing chrome made by Molotow that works really well. I assume you could chrome the back of a microscope slide and it might pass. Would probably be best to spray the paint instead of marking it. I found this using a quick search from an airbrush blog

With Liquid Chrome, Molotow is introducing a special form of ink to the market, which creates a mirror effect. This liquid chrome is the result of the longstanding further development of Molotow’s very well-known BURNER™ ink. Liquid Chrome is available in the form of a marker and as a refill featuring 30 ml. The refill is most suitable in being used with an airbrush. The ink can be sprayed without problem via the finest of nozzles. In order to achieve the best mirror effect result, you will require a flat, non-suction surface.

The alcohol-based, highly pigmented special ink creates a real mirror effect and thus, is extremely popular in graffiti, hobby, and DIY scenes. It’s no wonder that a big-time hype has been generate for most especially the marker, according to the manufacturer. Nonetheless, the ink can naturally also be used for custom painting, illustrations or model construction. When it comes to custom painting, Eloxal paints can also be combined with Candy paints. For model construction, buffer bars and related items can be set up and arranged realistically. The ink is highly opaque, permanent, and features a strong UV resistance. Liquid Chrome is almost entirely scratch and abrasion-proof, but sealing with clear varnish can be a recommendable step to take.

The markers are available in 4 sizes ranging between 1 and 5 mm starting at 4.90 EUR (RRP). The 30 ml Liquid Chrome refill paint costs 19.90 EUR. All Products are available in specialty retailer shops or directly from Molotow.

• Like 1