Inside or outside first?

KatFord

Curious what your process is. I've read both suggested... completed the shell, including all the outside finishes, first then the inside, or complete the inside first. Does it matter? Is it just a preference? 

My shell is complete, I've been added finishes inside as needed, i.e. when I don't think I'll be able to reach places once all the walls are done. 

Just curious. Thanks! 

Kim

There's no hard & fast rules that I know of for building and finishing dollhouses.  It seems to depend on how it goes together for me; I usually start with the floors, then whatever ceilings are on the other side.  Once the exterior walls are up I prime and decorate the interior first floor, finishing with windows, interior dividing walls and doors and then install the second floor and repeat, unless the design of the house just doesn't allow for that.  Dry fitting helps me prepare and plan a lot of how I'll approach the build.

• Like 1

I should have spent more time in the dry fit stage! LOL I'm trying to make sure I don't do something and then realize I should have done something else first. Like, the windows... I'm really disappointed in my kit... most of the interior windows won't work, I'll have to figure out how to make new ones. When removing them from the packaging they either broke in half or split down the middle. 

Kim, if it's a Dura-Craft kit where you have to build the windows and install them as you go, you can replace them with Houseworks and if you can't find the measurements you're looking for you can go slightly smaller and fill in around the opening with scrap wood.

• Like 1

Inside or outside first is, like most will say, is a preference thing. 

My progress starts with priming pieces, and painting pieces like windows, doors and trims. (this stage is SO tedious!!) Then I paint the house body and the interior ceilings.  Sometimes I do the floors before assembly and sometimes after.  Then I assemble and finish the exterior but don't install windows and doors til the end.  It's easier to do wallpaper/painting without the windows in place. Once the interior walls are finished I install the windows and doors and finish up the interior trims....then stand back and admire my work!  :)  

• Like 1