Decorating your houses for the holidays?

Island-Shack

People always ask me if I decorate my dollhouses for the holidays, and I don't. Three reasons - #1 I have 4 houses on display and the front of the homes face the wall (a mirror actually) so that you can see all the rooms and contents. I don't have lazy susan's so you have to pick them up to turn them around, which no one is allowed to do but me LOL. #2 I don't want to decorate the individual rooms because I have carefully placed all the furniture and sit-a-bouts. I don't want to go through all the rearranging I do for xmas in my real home with 4 dollhouses LOL. #3 I have a ginormous xmas village that I put up every year. Takes me 2 days to set it up, so that's plenty of mini-holiday enjoyment.

Curious if anyone that has their homes on display decorate them for the holidays? I see so many awesome little things I want to buy for them so I'm tempted to turn one around (RGT Alison Jr) and go for it.

• Like 1

I built the White Orchid to be a Christmas house.  I have a lovely old bombe chest and I alternate between the White Orchid, the ceramic Christmas tree my MIL made and the large creche set.  This year it's the White Orchid's turn.

• Like 1

I also have a White Orchid Christmas house. And a Halloween house. They both stay where they are when their holiday rolls around. I don't have a place to spotlight a particular house for special showing.

• Like 1

I Don't decorate inside for fear of going way overboard like I do in my real house. I do decorate with lots of glitter trees around my houses. Since I collect christmas trees I use them to bring Christmas to my dollhouses.

Here's one of my houses decorated for Christmas.

IMG_2365.jpg

• Like 6

On 11/19/2019, 9:40:04, NellBell said:

I Don't decorate inside for fear of going way overboard like I do in my real house. I do decorate with lots of glitter trees around my houses. Since I collect christmas trees I use them to bring Christmas to my dollhouses.

Here's one of my houses decorated for Christmas.

IMG_2365.jpg

This is a perfect example of decorating your dollhouse so it becomes a complimenting accessory rather than a pink elephant. Just lovely!

• Like 2

Thanks you so much Sable . I love making the ones I keep to fit into my house . Every time I walk in my front door I see this house and I just have to smile. Well this and my two unconditionally loving dogs. 

This is the second house I made and it will forever stay with me.

• Like 1

Before we had an actual dollhouse, we had already been collecting miniature furnishings and accessories. For several years, we arranged them inside one section of an antique barrister's bookcase with a glass panel that covers the front. We made it specifically to look like Victorian style rooms decorated for Christmas. We used wrapping paper with small scale Christmas patterns for wallpaper, attached to cardboard temporary walls, red and green felt or velvet for carpets, made a full sized 8" tree in the parlor and a 4" table-top one in the study, little wreaths and lots of candles and toys. It was great fun and always stayed out far past Christmas.

This year, the dollhouse may not be ready to fully decorate by Christmas, but we plan to at least have a tree and maybe evergreen swags and red bows on the porch railing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I got it done in time - and decorated, too! I will try to attach photos but have never done this before - so am not sure how it will turn out.

Looks like it is working from my end, but will wait and see if anyone else can see it.

I made the garland on the front porch from tinsel pipe cleaners. The wreaths and bows were purchased as gift decorations. 

The tree was bought with the balls and gold tinsel already on it. I added tiny (non-working) lights and candy canes. What makes this tableau special to us is the fact that my wife's aunt and uncle made some of the accessories: the mittens on the hassock, the drum, baseball and mitt, double globe lamp, and sled. They used to own a doll museum and would be delighted to see this.

We shared this with our grand-daughter this morning when she came over to help decorated Christmas cookies. She loved it and enjoyed doing some re-arranging. The chamber pot ended up on the buffet in the dining room!

IMG_3280__1576976139_54813 (1).jpg

IMG_3329__1576975111_25743 (1).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...