Catching up in Wisconsin

NeveFresca

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have just started on my first dollhouse, an Orchid that I mail-ordered 23 years ago. At the time I was a single mother with a 7-year-old and a 1-year-old. When the kit arrived and I saw how complicated it was, I knew there was no way I could build it. We lived in a tiny house with no place to set up the project, and there was the 1-year-old running around getting into everything. I hope you understand. My 7-year-old did not understand. She cried and cried. I put the Orchid kit away, out of sight but not forgotten. For 23 years I kept that kit, dragging it along when we moved from house to house. For 23 years I felt a nagging sense of guilt. Then, last month, my 7-year-old, now age 30, gave birth to my first grandchild, beautiful little Lydia. One look at that beautiful child, and I knew the time was right. Out came the Orchid kit, and I set up a work area to build it. I'd never attempted anything like this before, so I went online for general dollhouse-building guidance. I was astounded to see that they still make the Orchid! My astonishment quickly turned to joy to find a whole community of Orchid builders! I had a lot of questions, including total neophyte questions, that you wonderful people are answering as I read through your posts. Thank you all so much!

As for the 30-year-old, she doesn't even remember the Orchid kit arriving 23 years ago. Turns out I've been wracked with guilt for nothing. But no matter. I am having fun building my Orchid!

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Celeste.  I have built the Orchid twice already, once in wood and once in plastic, and I have another that was built with hot glue (recommended in the instructions, NOT by builders of these kits!) to rehab one of these days.  If your clear acetate door & window inserts have yellowed over time you can use flat clear acetate packaging or transparency film instead; clear report covers will also work well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...