AC Moore closing all its stores

grazhina

Well THAT just sucks!  They closed the only store near me in Mary Esther/ Ft Walton Beach, FL, over five years ago so  now I have to scour Michael's, Hobby Lobby and our local hobby shop for supplies for making minis (I DO wish Utrecht would open a store here!). 

I’ve never been to an AC Moore, not sure they have them in the western US, but the retail landscape is definitely changing everywhere. My question is what are they going to do with all of the unattractive strip malls the developers continue to build.  For the past year I’ve started using amazon for almost everything (including craft supplies) except fresh groceries. Only because the most convenient large retailer close to me closed up and has been sitting vacant. So many eye sores left behind from this retail apocalypse. 

1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

Yes, I am really bummed because I actually liked AC Moore better than Michael's....and I understand that Michael's actually bought 40 of the locations including a distribution warehouse.  

Me too! AC Moore had what I wanted more often than Michaels did.

What's with all these retailers closing shop; stores that were very popular, icons like Sears, Kmart.  JCPenney closing many stores too.  And I remember A.C. Moore stores took over all Ben Franklin's Crafts stores.  I had come to love Ben Franklins after years of shopping there then they up and changed to A.C. Moore now A.C. has up and changed to Michael's. Mama Mia!!

Next thing you know all craft stores will be taken over by Hobby Lobby.  I will not mind that because they sell EVERYTHING under the sun for crafting as well as some inexpensive minis.

I'm in Fort Myers FL and they closed mine about a year ago. I was so sad/mad. It was located directly across the street from our Hobby Lobby - too perfect. They had the best prices too, there is stuff I would specifically get there. I also liked them for wood, Michael's wood is messy and the strips are always out of stock. I'm left with Michaels (multiple locations), Hobby Lobby and Joann's. Other than the hardware store/Harbor Freight etc I have to online shop.

I hadn't heard this. There is a store not too far from me and I go there for my supplies. I like it better than Michael's too. I'm still getting daily emails for their specials, but I only pay attention when I plan to go there that day. So sad to lose another store.

Ben Franklin was my first retail job before I  got married. :D  Working there is what prompted my interest in cake decorating. :chef:

Many years later I bought my first dollhouse (Artply Barrington) at one of the first AC Moore stores in our area.  

On 11/27/2019, 9:23:38, amyole said:

I hadn't heard this. There is a store not too far from me and I go there for my supplies. I like it better than Michael's too. I'm still getting daily emails for their specials, but I only pay attention when I plan to go there that day. So sad to lose another store.

I'm located in NH too. I went to the AC Moore in Salem on Black Friday and was very disappointed. Not only were there no great deals/sales, but I did not see any dollhouses in there.

Years ago at an AC Moore in Maryland I bought my lighthouse, already assembled and wired because it was the display model and they were getting rid of it.

I'm a fan of Hobby Lobby now even though I've only been there twice and you can also order from them online.  They have good stuff for all kinds of crafting and DYI. And I see that their miniatures are better in-store than the ones they show online.  A better choice/variety of minis. Truth-be told, I will shop at any store that has what I want or need for mini as well as non-mini projects; be it  Michael's, Jo-Ann's, Hobby Lobby, etc. and all the (exclusively online) stores as well.

• Like 1