The Death of Seneca

jaxenro

Another of my favorite neoclassical pictures by David this is one of his earliest monumental works. When I ordered the cherry wood from SH Goode for my sofa I also ordered some picture frame material in cherry and this will be the subject. It will be a large overmantle picture for that fireplace surround I had printed measuring about a scale 6 feet wide. I have just started on the full treatment with liquitex satin varnish and gloss medium

From Wiki "The Death of Seneca is a 1773 painting by Jacques-Louis David, now at the Petit Palais in Paris. It shows the suicide of Seneca the Younger. With its Boucher-like assembly of gesticulating figures, it was his third attempt to win the Prix de Rome, but lost to a painting on the same subject by Pierre Peyron. Peyron's had fewer details and a darker colour palette and was closer to the 'antique' - he was not only David's rival, but also initiated the new classicism which partly inspired David to produce his 1774 Erasistratus Discovering the Cause of Antiochus' Disease."

David.jpg