Showpiece or playhouse?

LeeB

I am just curious - how many participants here consider their miniature houses as showpieces - beautiful little settings with everything in its perfect and permanent place - and how many are playhouses - beautiful little toys that they allow others to rearrange in order to have fun?

My first is a combination of both. I have spent lots of time finding and applying just the right wallpapers, paint colors and floor coverings and collecting the best furnishings we could find and afford. and I have a place in mind for everything. But I also love to see my granddaughter taking the furniture and accessories and carefully place them where she thinks they should be. If anything gets damaged, no big deal. I can fix it or replace it. It is worth it to me to have the experience together.

What about the rest of the community - how do you think about it?

LeeB

I look at my houses more as showcases, not playthings, but for me the joy is in the building and decorating, not the playing. Any little people who view them (or big people with playful hearts) are encouraged only to touch with their eyes, not their fingers. :) 

I build the houses for children to play with - trying to find a child that will be a little older and gentle. However, I am partial to my (still-unfinished) Chantilly, which has become more of a personal house with things that I don't want to part with, so it is a showcase/play house for me.

• Like 1

I would like to see my Pierce go to a little girl who will love it and play with it. I never forgot what Erma Bombeck said about her beautiful rose candle. She wishes she had used it and enjoyed it rather than preserving it. But I think it needs to look good too!

Most of us have more than one dollhouse, so I only have two or three that have furniture and lamps etc that are too delicate for a lot of handling and touching. But I have a few that would definitely be fine for children to play with. 

If it's in my house it's a showpiece and I like to change it up but not for kids. I do make a house once a year for donation and so far have made it for about a 9/10 year old. This year will be a much younger model for kids my last one has a little stressful on me when letting the family kids play with it. I quickly realized I made it for an older child. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2019, 3:19:21, Medieval said:

I never forgot what Erma Bombeck said about her beautiful rose candle. She wishes she had used it and enjoyed it rather than preserving it. But I think it needs to look good too!

I love that. I had to google for the quote but she is right. I am like that with my vintage books and antique finds but I am starting to use them more. 

iI think for my childhood dollhouse restoration project it will be showpiece only but i would make one for play for children.

My first was a kit (Glencroft) that had gotten slightly wet so the wood was not in great shape but it was cheap so I got it to learn with.  This has always been a dollhouse to be played with.  And believe me it has been played with by every child (boys and girls) that have visited our home.  It was always the first thing they headed to.  Can't tell you how many times we had to turn it upside down to retrieve the mini-figure that had decided to go down the chimney.

We no longer have young grandchildren and their friends to play with it so it's waiting for a rehab but I wouldn't trade the memories of the fun they had for any number of showcases.  

I do have "don't touch unless I'm there" dollhouses (mine are built for the pure joy of it and aren't anywhere near what I would call a showcase) but they aren't for general playtime and turning upside down.

If you have young children around, have one they can play with using all their wild imangination.  You never know which ones might become the next master builders.

• Like 2

I let children play gently with mine.  If they break anything, I remind them that everything is pretty delicate and they need to be more careful, and I either repair whatever it is or build a replacement.  If it's a OOAK artisan piece I put it away before I turn kids loose with it.