Display boxes

Benni

I'm trying to find a source for cheap display boxes. Probably 10x10 inches, to represent one room (1:12 scale).

I had found some fabric boxes that may be sturdy enough to lie on their side to use. I had asked if they were sturdy enough for that -- one reviewer said they were, but 4 others said they weren't. 

So, I'm in a quandary as to what to do.  Any ideas for me?

Benni

I'd be tempted to build mine of hobby wood. If you need stackable, then wood. But for basic room box needs, foam board is a great cheap material to build with.

Search "organizer" or "storage box"...but I doubt there will be anything premade that is truly cheap. Good luck!

You may want to consider making the boxes out of foam core board. It's easy to cut. Hold it together with long straight pins and glue. If it needs reinforcing, gently run a bamboo skewer through the foam and/or use U-shaped channel molding on the raw edges or corner molding to reinforce corners. 

Wow! So many great ideas! Elsbeth, thanks for the link. That's about the right price. Would that size work for 1:12 scale? Off to IKEA now and researching foam board.

Thank you all! 

10x10 would be 10 foot tall ceilings. I actually prefer a tall ceiling in 1:12, I like to put up artwork and I like the open space for rearranging. I had a dollhouse that had 12" ceilings - it was awesome! So I think 10" is quite reasonable.

I will be hanging the display boxes on the wall. I'm trying to decide what to use -- the sawtooth thingys like on the back of photo frames, or the round thingys that stick up in back. Jeez, I hope I've explained it good enough. 

Also, this may sound silly, but do I need to glue any pieces down to avoid anything falling over/out of place?

19 minutes ago, Benni said:

do I need to glue any pieces down to avoid anything falling over/out of place?

The type of hanger pretty much depends on the weight of the box. Most hangers indicate the max weight rating, so let that be your guide. 

You can use a removable, repositionable, reusable substance like Museum Wax to keep stuff from falling over or migrating. If you enclose the box with a glass or Plexiglas front, this would be useful.

22 minutes ago, Benni said:

Now I can't decide to display all in the box on it's side, or on the bottom -- looking down at it from above. Which way would it make items more visible?

I have a pottery shop that has a removable roof so it can be viewed from above as well as through the open back. While it is handy not to have to turn the building to look inside, the effect is quite different. I think it loses some of the ambiance when viewed from above. Does a chair look less like a chair when viewed from above? It is your call. Maybe construct the box with a removable wall and removable roof i dry fit. Stage it with some of the contents. Look at it both ways, then decide.