Package Delivery -- in What Universe?

KathieB

Ok. So I ordered a dozen quart storage jars, planning to fill them with ingredients for cookies, tape the recipe on the outside, tie with a bow, and voila! Christmas in a jar for friends and relatives. The supplier shipped them in two separate orders, although they were ordered at the same time. So one was supposed to arrive on Sunday, another on Monday. Sunday evening I got a notice that the package was delivered, handed to the recipient. Ha. That didn't happen. No sign of package. I wasn't even home. So on Monday, what seemed to be a repeat performance -- no package, despite the notice that it would be delivered that day. Alexa still told me it would be delivered on Monday when I asked her "Where's my stuff?" around 9 pm.

So yesterday, Tuesday, I opened the front door to get the mail and surprise -- there was a box the right size to hold six one-quart storage jars. But when I pick it up, I heard the unmistakable sound of glass shards tinkling. Four of the six jars were smashed beyond recognition, although the outside of the box was undamaged. So I hopped on Amazon.com and report this major snafu. 

But the story doesn't end there. Today when I went out for the mail there was another box. Much smaller. No weight to it, felt empty. It was addressed to me, but a delivery code sticker was pasted over the return address, so I can't tell who shipped it. Inside are 6 round button batteries. I didn't order any batteries. Only minutes later, Alexa notified me that 6 glass storage jars had been delivered. :doh: I don't even know how to begin to catch Amazon up on what's been happening.

Meanwhile, I went to Big Lots and found just the jars I need. At least the universe smiled on me once this week, if only briefly. :) 

• Like 1

Two or three times I've received emails from Amazon reporting that the post office said the carrier couldn't gain access to my building to deliver the package. ?????? I live in a house in a quiet  suburban type little neighborhood, with an average length driveway, no dogs, 2 houses down from the comunal mailboxes. I know for a fact that one of those times the mail carrier just failed to stop at my house, because I had seen him zipping by in his little mail truck.  I did contact Amazon on one of those occassions and spoke to a representative about it. I figured they should know, as poor delivery service gives them a black eye, even if it wasn't their fault. Another point about shipping of products purchased on Amazon, some of that stuff isn't shipped by them, but by individual companies or persons. I've bought things on Ebay and when they arrived, they were in Amazon's packaging. Some sellers list on both sites.

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

some of that stuff isn't shipped by them, but by individual companies or persons.

I think this is a big part of the problem here. The box was not an Amazon box, and it was definitely not packed the way Amazon would have packed it. 

We have issues with courier drivers here on occasion.  Luckily where we live is very secure so when packages are left by the front door that's fine.  The number of times a package which requires a signature on delivery has been signed by our 'front door' is astounding!  I think I should market our front door - it's clearly very clever! :D   I'm waiting on a little package from aliexpress and as I've been waiting for about 2 months now I got in touch with the seller.  They came back to me stating that it's perfectly normal and I just need to be patient.  They ended with 'so let us be patient together and we will find out.'  At least they're friendly!  They're just mini hinges and door handles so it's not an expensive parcel, but I've been pretty patient I reckon!

• Like 1

Where we lived in Havana was out in the countryside a mile in on a road that dead-ended at the back of our house and the bottom of the hill we sat atop.  The looped road made a great walk and a few times we would find packages lying along the road that had clearly "fallen" from the delivery vehicle.  We tried putting them in the mailbox with a "try again" note after being unable to find the addresses on them ourselves.  I don't know if those people ever got their packages.  I never got a package Tracy said she'd sent me, and the doll I sent Kathie got eaten and destroyed by postal sorting equipment and a year and a half later they returned the shreds of the package to me.  Delivery service sure isn't what I remember!

• Like 1