Aging Brick

mks

I want to age the brick that I am attaching to the back of my fireplace.  I have a sheet of brick that I think is made from latex because it is kind of rubbery and bendable.  What can I use to age this - chalk pastels and then some type of sealer or acrylic paint and then sealer?  Or something else.  Thanks!

I aged the bricks on a resin fireplace finished in plain, very brown brick. I dabbed on 2 shades of brownish craft paint with a stipple brush. One was raw sienna, I think the other was iron oxide. Then I used a blend of off white and a creamy light brown color and applied that lightly with a smaller stipple brush, rubbing it in with my finger till I got the look I wanted. I can't seem to upload a picture, so here's a link to it

You probably don't need to prime the latex sheet. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing posts at times by people who've retouched acrylic sheet bricks and floors, etc. so they'd look more realistic.

• Like 1

This is a sheet of bricks, not from sandpaper.  If I primed them, then the brick patterns would be covered up.  I just want to add some type of paint or chalk layers to make them less new looking.

Maybe try a "dirty wash"? Take half a cup of water and put 2 drops of black acrylic paint and 2 drops of dark burnt umber acrylic, stir well. Take a stiff bristle brush (if you don't have one a regular works ok too) and just brush it on the bricks. Takes the "shine" off and makes it look more used.

PS, if one coat doesn't do as well add another....