What's for dinner?

blueirishmoon

Augh, no idea. I am so over cooking and feeding myself. And there are no leftovers in the freezer and husband is working and getting fed at work so he can’t cook for me. And I hate grocery shopping. Need to go find some convenience foods I think!

I made pizzas for the 2nd time in my new Betty Crocker Pizza Baker.

DH likes the thinnest crust, and since mine were rarely quite thin enough for him, I started making his pizza using a flour tortilla, while making a traditional crust for my son & me using the recipe on the Fleishman's pizza yeast. Using the pizza yeast, the dough stretches out nicely, and doesn't sproing back once you've got it rolled out just the way you want it. With the Betty Crocker Pizza Baker I can have a pizza ready to eat in 10 minutes, and a tortilla one in 5.

I use my homemade spaghetti sauce as the base for my pizza sauce. I throw some pepperoni slices & minced garlic in a pot, saute it up a bit, then add my sauce with some extra Italian seasoning & some Accent. I then let the sauce simmer til it gets nice and thick, sort of like a thin tomato paste. I spoon the sauce into little 4 ounce Ziplock storage cups, snap on the lids, and stack them in the freezer. I'll thaw out a couple when I'm ready to make pizza.

My electric oven takes 90 minutes to heat up my pizza stone, while a tortilla pizza can be started in a cast iron skillet on the stove, then finished off under the broiler. I just couldn't use the broiler and get my baking stone hot enough at the same time. I was getting really frustrated.  I'm so happy I stumbled onto the pizza baker on Amazon.

• Like 2

Pork tenderloin and a link of green onion sausage is thawing in the fridge for Christmas dinner; I'll flatten the former and stuff with the latter and stick it in the crockpot Weds AM.  We have been invited to friends' annual Christmas Eve gumbo and I'm making a crescent roll dough King cake (lots of recipes online) to take, in Christmas colors.

Tonight is my standard Christmas Eve Soup, Salad, and Hawaiian sausage sandwiches Game Night.

Soup = Potatoe, sausage leek 

Sausage = Hawaiian from a place called Lockford sausage . It's a 2.5 hour trip for me but my brothers request it now even year. It's so good and now they make a spicy one. This in stead of French dip sandwiches go figure.

HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY TO ALL

Just home from my sister's, where we grazed on a wide variety of appetizers, cookies, and birthday cake. The 4-year-old informed us that today is her birthday but tomorrow is baby Jesus's birthday, so we had to sing to baby Jesus, too, before we could cut the birthday cake. :) 

• Like 1

The male half of our friends is the gumbo maker, and it was even better than last year's.  I didn't bring home any of the King cake, and no one admitted they'd found the baby when we left.  Someone else had brought a bread pudding that was heavenly, but also crunchy.  I asked her how she managed it, since mine are always moist, and she said she put pralines in it.  The lady friend's daughter is learning to knit, so I wore the socks I just finished.

I stuffed and rolled the tenderloins yesterday at noon and marinated them in mojo until we got home, when they went into the crock pot; I just got up to turn them and slather marmalade on them, and after breakfast I'll peel and cut up and add the sweet potatoes.

14 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Went to the doctor yesterday and had some great news! I apparently lost 20 lbs since I saw them last, so I splurged last night with a cheeseburger, and tonight with some pepperoni pizza. Back to the small healthy changes I've been making tomorrow.

Fantastic! What are some of the small healthy changes you are making? <Asked by someone who has semi-annual checkup on Monday and has to report a weight gain of several pounds.>

Well, I've been trying to add more variety to what I eat, so I get more micronutrients. Hard for me, since I hate most veggies...I think most of them taste bitter or like dirt. Eating a little less at each meal, like one and a half sandwiches instead of two. Limiting treats, but not eliminating them completely. So, if I want candy, just a few pieces, not a double handful. If I want potato chips, two small handfuls, not half the bag. You get the idea. Lean protein is my friend, particularly beef. Don't drink multiple sodas in a one day period. I've also added MCT oil, which has given me more energy and lessened my hunger a little. I drink lots of water, and have added coffee more regularly.

Sounds like a practical plan. I signed up for the ugly vegetable mail order program. Every two weeks I'll get a box of whatever fruit and vegetables are in season. I figure if the vegetables are in the house I will eat more of them and less of other stuff. The first box included some kale, which I'd never buy in the grocery store. I sautéed it with some garlic and slid in a tilapia filet while it was steaming, doused it with lemon juice. Yumm. There was also celery in the box and I already had some, so I made celery soup in the new instant pot. Even with onion and dill, it was pretty tasteless. I diced some ham and tossed that in when I reheated some of the soup for another meal. That was good.  

Haven't figured out what to do with the green cauliflower. Enjoyed the mango with cereal and a beautiful orange as a snack today. 

I think your "green cauliflower" might actually be brocciflower, or whatever the hybrid is called these days.  My last-ditch go-to for both broccoli and cauliflower is to mix some medium curry powder into mayonnaise and slather the raw flowerets with it and chow down, although I have also sprinkled them generously with shredded sharp cheddar and baked them.

One of the ways I squeeze more veggies in is to make a meaty soup, and the meat usually overpowers their taste. Also to add more movement to my day, because I'm pretty sedentary. So, every hour or so I get up and walk around the house for 5 minutes or so. I also do some light weightlifting and careful stretching, cause I have a touchy back, and sore knees.

Fortunately  I like most veggies.  Kale is great sauteed with carmelized sweet onions and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Cynthia, invest in one of the Moosewood cookbooks.  My hubs will eat almost anything I cook from one of them.