Exterior paint?

Jess1991

2 hours ago, Jess1991 said:

dab bits of brown onto the white paint ?

• That could work, especially when used with a "dirty wash" (a very watered down paint).
  • You could also use a crackle paint that will mimic old, peeling paint.
  • Earth tone chalks shaved into powder and rubbed on with a fingertip
  •  

Actually, the best effect will probably be the result of a combination of the above. Aging in real life is an evolutionary process that doesn't proceed at the same rate all over. Avoiding uniformity is probably the most important thing to keep in mind.

You may want to do some experimenting on a sample piece before attacking the house itself. But keep in mind that you can always paint over any bits that you don't like.

I aged my Coventry Cottage to look like my hubs' grandparents' house in Sylvester, GA, by first "washing" the siding strips in a solution of isopropyl alcohol and India ink until they were a lovely old silvery gray, and then slightly diluting the white paint I painted it with, then went over it with a rag whilst still wet.  (The green paint on the porch & shutters just looked that way naturally.)

Thank you all for your comments but I have been looking and looking at loads of different doll house shops and I think I might just go over the house in brick wallpaper and just so the shop front in a dark green instead now to be honest but if I change my mind then I will go by how you all have said .

Thank you again x

For a more bricklike exterior, if you don't mind the tedium and have a printer's ruler, I like to use garnet sandpaper for mini "bricks, I measure them 1 pica X 3 picas for 1:12 scale.  A pica is 1/6".