Lighting woes - please help!

IndyCindy

Hi Friends!

I received two gorgeous lamps (one table and one floor) for Christmas and the only problem is that that they are wired for a 12 volt system and I have used battery-operated lights exclusively. My house isn't hardwired and I would love to "convert" these lovely pieces into battery-operated ones because they really would look lovely lit! I considered this  https://minimumworld.com/shop-by-product/dolls-house-lighting/battery-led-lights-no-wiring/lt7587-warm-white-bulb-on-a-string-battery-light as a solution, thinking I would just remove the current wiring and thread this one through the base of the lamp. The lamp's base is too narrow to accommodate it. :( Then I found this gizmo  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-Miniature-9-Volt-Battery-Adapter-with-Outlet-1-12-Scale/262974596209, but wondered if I was overlooking a less clunky solution. Is adding the plug difficult? The whole thing seems a little overwhelming to me. . . 

Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

Hi Nell! 

Here's the table lamp. The basic construction of the floor lamp is the same. The second photo shows the base of the lamp with the wires. The third photo shows the tiny bulb. FYI, the little metal wire sticking up beside the bulb is there to hold the shade in place. It is independent of the wiring. I'd love to know your thoughts/suggestions on this. Thank you! 

P.S. Sorry for the orientation of the photos. 

IMG_1163.JPG.ae6cad399ac2af9933014845b72IMG_1165.JPG.ec985298082b5e2b42c467a58a2IMG_1164.JPG.3e03d14c67b94af972673526b36

Yeah this is an easy fix. I'll pull out my stuff on Wednesday and take pictures of what I use . I'll also send a private message of what to buy if you like my idea. 

I would leave everything in tack for now. I'm away from home for work for a few days. Really a great lamp.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Yeah this is an easy fix. I'll pull out my stuff on Wednesday and take pictures of what I use . I'll also send a private message of what to buy if you like my idea. 

I would leave everything in tack for now. I'm away from home for work for a few days. Really a great lamp.

I would LOVE to see pictures and know what to order. Thank you so very much! The lamp is a piece by the Kummerows and I am super excited to see it illuminated! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020, 3:42:08, IndyCindy said:

Hi Nell! 

Here's the table lamp. The basic construction of the floor lamp is the same. The second photo shows the base of the lamp with the wires. The third photo shows the tiny bulb. FYI, the little metal wire sticking up beside the bulb is there to hold the shade in place. It is independent of the wiring. I'd love to know your thoughts/suggestions on this. Thank you! 

P.S. Sorry for the orientation of the photos. 

IMG_1163.JPG.ae6cad399ac2af9933014845b72IMG_1165.JPG.ec985298082b5e2b42c467a58a2

Sorry this took so long I have to work to pay for my Mini Habit ( Is there a 10 step program out there)

Here is the link to the company I get my LEDs from https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/pages/information-about-led-sizes

They have what is called a Pico and Nano all around light the wire is really thin. I use this one a lot. If any wire shows I paint with acrylic enamel gold or what ever color is needed to hide it.  

https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/products/full-brightness-all-around-double-led?variant=6762153476144

You can wire up to 10 on a little battery cell holder with a push button switch any more you have to step up to a bigger battery source. I have put some pretty small holes in house and wired right to the bottom and to one push button switch . They even have clickers now. 

I thought I'd share an idea for hiding LED lights in beams. If you building and using bass wood beams and want light I have use led singles and strings. Do not buy the double sided light here as it's a waste of money.

This is an example of a string I had to make a Christmas tree . ( yeh thats still not done.) So I stole it for a room box I'm working on. I cut a line into the balsa and placed the sting over it and just pushed it in . so easy and you can have a little or a lot of light. I'll share an actual picture of the room box when it's complete.

Oh yeah you can get warm light or cool light 

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NellBell said:

"Sorry this took so long I have to work to pay for my Mini Habit ( Is there a 10 step program out there)

Here is the link to the company I get my LEDs from https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/pages/information-about-led-sizes

They have what is called a Pico and Nano all around light the wire is really thin. I use this one a lot. If any wire shows I paint with acrylic enamel gold or what ever color is needed to hide it.  

https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/products/full-brightness-all-around-double-led?variant=6762153476144

You can wire up to 10 on a little battery cell holder with a push button switch any more you have to step up to a bigger battery source. I have put some pretty small holes in house and wired right to the bottom and to one push button switch . They even have clickers now. 

This is brilliant! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Exactly what I needed . . .I just didn't know what "it" was exactly! What a fantastic source for lighting components! 

I have to work to pay for my mini habit too. . .in my perfect (purrfect?) world I could be a stay-at-home cat mom. ;)

I had my house wired 22 years ago. I’ve ripped out all the wiring - it was in a bad way-  and am replacing with battery lights. But I would love to use the old light fittings. Nell can you please give me the instructions to convert them?