Newbie interested in mid century style textiles

Hi, everyone -

Happy to have found this forum as I get (re)started in dollhouses after several decades away. First project plans are for a 1950s style ranch, 1:12 scale.

Until I locate the perfect-for-me house, I'm itching to try a crafty project, in addition to lots of style and technique research. I'm thinking of a bedspread/blanket as it would have some flexibility in terms of matching exact colors and styles later.  I'm thinking maybe filet crochet - although it really dates earlier, it looks like it might be a good beginner project. 

Thoughts, or other suggestions? I'm more comfortable with basic needlework/embroidery than crochet, but other than little throw pillows I feel like I need room dimensions and furniture choices before diving into rugs, curtains, etc.

• Like 1

Why not use cross-stitch (or French knots) to make a little chenille bedspread?  They were very mid-century ( https://retrorenovation.com/2009/10/19/bedspreads-for-your-mid-century-bedroom/ ) and could be done in white, so they would go with any color scheme you ultimately choose.  Check out the Sara Pittman coverlet from June Grigg’s pamphlet, “More Charted Designs for Miniatures,” and the Floral bedspread from Needlework Designs for Miniature Projects: 64 Charts for Counted Cross by Eileen Folk for potential patterns.  I actually combined the two to create a mid-century bedspread for my Merrimack.  There may also be other options out there.  I love mid-century, so am looking forward to whatever you do.  

Hi, Mary. Welcome to the forum! I like the idea of a chenille bedspread. With your needlework skills you can experiment with a variety of techniques.  Keep in mind that a great deal of what we accomplish is smoke and mirrors. You don't need to recreate the effect tuft by tuft.

What if you laid a strand of thin yarn and stitched it down with a series of evenly spaced loops with the same color sewing thread? I think the thread would pull down the yarn to form a tuft between stitches, and if you stitch up and down in the same hole, the thread should disappear. As I typed this, I had another thought -- you could draw the pattern on the base fabric (cotton) and glue down the yarn along the lines with tiny dots of fabric glue to hold it in place while you stitch it down.

I love the way this forum offers opportunities to stretch our imagination. When I logged on, I had not given one thought to creating a chenille bedspread, but now I am wondering what fabric and yarn I may have in my stash to do a little experimenting! I do not even have a mid-century house to put it in! :D 

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Mary.  Single strand cotton embroidery floss or candlewicking yarn work for 1:12 worsted

gallery_8_2779_10933.jpgmed_gallery_8_2779_67185.jpg

And I've used sewing thread for crochet cotton.  I really like Kathie's suggestion for simulating chenille, and the tacking thread can match either the yarn, the base fabric, or neither (recalling some of the hand-made chenille bedspreads for sale on clotheslines throughout the rural South as I was growing up).

Thank you so much for the suggestions! 

And a great reminder that the best solution may not be to recreate the actual technique. Especially because I'm now considering a Lundby house which means 1:16 scale!

I'm adding those resources to my library list, and I've gone down an internet rabbit hole learning about chenille! 

Look forward to sharing my projects!

The original copy of Making Miniatures by Venus and Martin Dodge was entirely 1:16 scale patterns & measurements.  I replaced my copy with a later one that omitted a few of the projects and what was left was offered in both 1:16 and 1:12.  I see that now the book is available in all 1:12.  You might see which, if any, your local library has or can get you.  I simulate patchwork quilts with embroidery.