Trouble understanding actual 1:12 to 1:16 scale

thatgirldownstairs

The dollhouse I'm currently working on is a 1:12 scale. I understand how scale works, just having trouble mentally seeing how much smaller 1:16 is compared to 1:12. 

I've never really bought miniatures in the past and a lot of the pieces I'm seeming to really like are 1:16 like Petite Princess, Ideal, Renewal. Would they look strange size wise next to other 1:12 items?

Let's say you are wanting to represent a 5ft tall item.  That's 60".

Divide that by 12, and you get 5.  So in 1:12 it's 5".

Divide by 16, and it's 3.75.  So that's a difference of 1.25" between 1:12 and 1:16.

For 1:24 scale, divide by 24, and your item is 2.5", half of 1:12.

I've seen 1:12 and 1:16 in the same house, and it can be done, but typically you wouldnt want to place the items next to each other.  Sometimes you can trick the eye with the placement of the item.

Along similar lines... there can be differences in sizes even within 1:12 scale.   So be sure to always check measurements.

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Along similar lines... there can be differences in sizes even within 1:12 scale.   So be sure to always check measurements.

Just like real life. Some furniture is bulky and looks good in large rooms and some is scaled more delicately for smaller rooms, apartments, etc.  You would not likely  place them side by side in your home. Same goes for mini homes.