triang theatre

Tinkerbelle

Hi everyone. My plans to work on my doll house keep being put off unfortunately but in the spring I have a family friend who has offered his workshop space at his house and his power tools and his help. so that is great. 

I was perusing Ebay as you do and came across this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1920s-30s-era-Childs-Triang-Theatre-with-3-play-books-Curtain-back-drops/312895107439

It is in a bad condition but i think it would be good for a restoration project. I have been planning to build a theatre and make sets with dollhouse furniture. I love the fact that it folds down. 

I found the measurements online = 30.48 cm high and 39.37 cm wide for the curtain bit and base is 37cm x 43cm at base. Is that too big for 1:12th size? 

I really like it but worry that it is too far done to be fixed. What do you guys think? Should i get it or wait and build my own from scratch? 

Thanks 

12 hours ago, Tinkerbelle said:

Should i get it or wait and build my own from scratch?

I think for that price you could buy the supplies needed to make your own, to your own specifications. I don't know how much value I'd place on the scenery or booklets. Both appear to be darkened with age and seem to be crumbling around the edges from age. 

My vote: build your own

• Like 1

Something that old ought to have been preserved.  IMO it's too far gone unless you're a really, really skilled preservationist.  I think you would be MUCH happier building your own.  I seem to recall a long while back that Dollshouse and Miniature Scene once ran an article on making a little theatre.

40 pounds for all that? I saw why not. I like the scenery and the scripts...you could build your own new structure or try refurbishing the old one. I do like the idea of a tiny stage like that...with curtain that goes up...sorta magical and different. I'd be tempted to make some new scenery too - just for fun.

I vote yes. And the height seems very normal - I was actuallly expecting it to be larger since theatres are often tall with lights high above.

On 1/12/2020, 12:54:04, KathieB said:

I don't know how much value I'd place on the scenery or booklets. Both appear to be darkened with age and seem to be crumbling around the edges from age.

i did think that as well. i wasn't planning on using them but i do think they look interesting. 

so hard to decide. there is just something about it that keeps making me think about it. i decide not to and then i keep coming back to take a look again. 

On 1/12/2020, 1:51:25, havanaholly said:

Something that old ought to have been preserved.  IMO it's too far gone unless you're a really, really skilled preservationist.  I think you would be MUCH happier building your own.  I seem to recall a long while back that Dollshouse and Miniature Scene once ran an article on making a little theatre.

havanaholly I know when I saw it my heart sank at the condition it had gotten in.  i am not a skilled preservationist but something in me seems to somehow save something of it. 

the only problem is if my family friend can help me make one from scratch. I feel fixing this one, IF I can would be somewhat more satisfying.

On 1/12/2020, 2:26:00, Elsbeth said:

40 pounds for all that? I saw why not. I like the scenery and the scripts...you could build your own new structure or try refurbishing the old one. I do like the idea of a tiny stage like that...with curtain that goes up...sorta magical and different. I'd be tempted to make some new scenery too - just for fun.

I vote yes. And the height seems very normal - I was actuallly expecting it to be larger since theatres are often tall with lights high above.

I can definetely see potential but for some reason i am not sure.

I have always wanted one so it will be accomplishing a childhood dream. Oh yeah the curtain will be rigged to go up and down or open sideways :) 

I want to build a small stage set of the sitting room in Little Women so I would make scenery for things I can't get. 

i have until friday to decide.

1 hour ago, Tinkerbelle said:

I can definetely see potential but for some reason i am not sure.

I have always wanted one so it will be accomplishing a childhood dream. Oh yeah the curtain will be rigged to go up and down or open sideways :) 

I want to build a small stage set of the sitting room in Little Women so I would make scenery for things I can't get. 

i have until friday to decide.

40pounds for a childhood dream. Seems like a bargain. I love the idea of the curtain going to the side. Or center opening...fun!!! Good luck!