House Beautiful Dollhouse Challenge

12 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Kells said:

Not sure if this has been posted already. House Beautiful magazine gave $500 apiece to eleven interior designers to decorate a dollhouse. This is the first one, decorated by Alyssa Kapito. The article says stay tuned for the next ten to come.

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/a30499659/alyssa-kapito-dollhouse-beautiful/

Thanks for sharing that. I’ll be watching each week.

This is actually the fifth one in the series.  I have been watching these for a while.  If you go onto YouTube, you can see the previous four.  It's interesting to see how different designers approach the decor.  Some not my taste, but that's OK.  Many of them talk about how difficult it is to decorate something that tiny, particularly installing wallpaper.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

This is actually the fifth one in the series.  I have been watching these for a while.  If you go onto YouTube, you can see the previous four.  It's interesting to see how different designers approach the decor.  Some not my taste, but that's OK.  Many of them talk about how difficult it is to decorate something that tiny, particularly installing wallpaper.

Yeah get the feeling it is non-miniaturists testing their chops in mini...the chandelier being a great example of a non-mini maker doing something. Just because someone is a great/admired artist in 1:1 world doesn't mean they can recreate their work in 1:12. But nice idea! 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Yeah get the feeling it is non-miniaturists testing their chops in mini...the chandelier being a great example of a non-mini maker doing something. Just because someone is a great/admired artist in 1:1 world doesn't mean they can recreate their work in 1:12. But nice idea! 

I was wondering where the mouldings and railings went to.....My husband works with a lot of designers in his business. He says they have great ideas, but little knowledge on how to execute them. Yes, that 5,000 pound metal piece is beautiful, but how do you hang it from the ceiling. Oh, and can you program the C&C that is going laser cut that stainless....Oh, and time and labor comes with a $50,000 dollar price tag! No matter, they are spending someone else's money!

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I was wondering where the mouldings and railings went to.....My husband works with a lot of designers in his business. He says they have great ideas, but little knowledge on how to execute them. Yes, that 5,000 pound metal piece is beautiful, but how do you hang it from the ceiling. Oh, and can you program the C&C that is going laser cut that stainless....Oh, and time and labor comes with a $50,000 dollar price tag! No matter, they are spending someone else's money!

Also, no toilet, refrigerator or window treatments 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Cathy C said:

Also, no toilet or refrigerator 

Or stove or dining facilities.  I noticed there are contemporary mini pieces for sale at the bottom of the page.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Or stove or dining facilities.  I noticed there are contemporary mini pieces for sale at the bottom of the page.

I see a stovetop with a stockpot on it and a dining table with place settings and chairs.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Thank you for that! I didn't know about the previous videos since I watched the one embedded in that article, not on Youtube. For anyone interested, here is a link to the playlist on Youtube. It will start at the first one then automatically go to the next.

1 person likes this

I liked the black house best. Not necessarily the wallpaper, but she seemed to know what she was doing with the details. Maybe I'm just not into the minimalist scene. I do know I have seen finer interior decorations in this forum than I did in the videos created by the "experts".

1 person likes this

My mother in law sent me one of these a couple of weeks ago. My snarky reaction (which I kept to myself) is that mini stuff done by 1:1 designers never looks as good as mini stuff done by miniaturists. My real life house doesn't look anywhere near as good as theirs, but I think my mini houses are better!

4 people like this