House Beautiful Dollhouse Challenge

Kells

Not sure if this has been posted already. House Beautiful magazine gave $500 apiece to eleven interior designers to decorate a dollhouse. This is the first one, decorated by Alyssa Kapito. The article says stay tuned for the next ten to come.

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/a30499659/alyssa-kapito-dollhouse-beautiful/

13 minutes ago, Kells said:

Not sure if this has been posted already. House Beautiful magazine gave $500 apiece to eleven interior designers to decorate a dollhouse. This is the first one, decorated by Alyssa Kapito. The article says stay tuned for the next ten to come.

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/a30499659/alyssa-kapito-dollhouse-beautiful/

Thanks for sharing that. I’ll be watching each week.

This is actually the fifth one in the series.  I have been watching these for a while.  If you go onto YouTube, you can see the previous four.  It's interesting to see how different designers approach the decor.  Some not my taste, but that's OK.  Many of them talk about how difficult it is to decorate something that tiny, particularly installing wallpaper.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

This is actually the fifth one in the series.  I have been watching these for a while.  If you go onto YouTube, you can see the previous four.  It's interesting to see how different designers approach the decor.  Some not my taste, but that's OK.  Many of them talk about how difficult it is to decorate something that tiny, particularly installing wallpaper.

Yeah get the feeling it is non-miniaturists testing their chops in mini...the chandelier being a great example of a non-mini maker doing something. Just because someone is a great/admired artist in 1:1 world doesn't mean they can recreate their work in 1:12. But nice idea! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Yeah get the feeling it is non-miniaturists testing their chops in mini...the chandelier being a great example of a non-mini maker doing something. Just because someone is a great/admired artist in 1:1 world doesn't mean they can recreate their work in 1:12. But nice idea! 

I was wondering where the mouldings and railings went to.....My husband works with a lot of designers in his business. He says they have great ideas, but little knowledge on how to execute them. Yes, that 5,000 pound metal piece is beautiful, but how do you hang it from the ceiling. Oh, and can you program the C&C that is going laser cut that stainless....Oh, and time and labor comes with a $50,000 dollar price tag! No matter, they are spending someone else's money!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I was wondering where the mouldings and railings went to.....My husband works with a lot of designers in his business. He says they have great ideas, but little knowledge on how to execute them. Yes, that 5,000 pound metal piece is beautiful, but how do you hang it from the ceiling. Oh, and can you program the C&C that is going laser cut that stainless....Oh, and time and labor comes with a $50,000 dollar price tag! No matter, they are spending someone else's money!

Also, no toilet, refrigerator or window treatments 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Or stove or dining facilities.  I noticed there are contemporary mini pieces for sale at the bottom of the page.

I see a stovetop with a stockpot on it and a dining table with place settings and chairs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Thank you for that! I didn't know about the previous videos since I watched the one embedded in that article, not on Youtube. For anyone interested, here is a link to the playlist on Youtube. It will start at the first one then automatically go to the next.

• Like 1

I liked the black house best. Not necessarily the wallpaper, but she seemed to know what she was doing with the details. Maybe I'm just not into the minimalist scene. I do know I have seen finer interior decorations in this forum than I did in the videos created by the "experts".

• Like 1

My mother in law sent me one of these a couple of weeks ago. My snarky reaction (which I kept to myself) is that mini stuff done by 1:1 designers never looks as good as mini stuff done by miniaturists. My real life house doesn't look anywhere near as good as theirs, but I think my mini houses are better!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

To me, a lot of these houses look like houses for little kids to play with, and while there are some good ideas my taste leans more toward the detailed "hands off, for looking at only" houses.

This reminds me of the I'm a Giant challenge from almost a decade ago, where a bunch of design bloggers built and/or designed their own dollhouses. Some of them were absolutely stunning, but quite a few of them were just plain houses with lots of purchased modern furniture in them. I remember there being a bit of a scandal because the blogger who started it never finished her house, or if she did she never posted it and, to the best of my knowledge, never mentioned this challenge that almost 100 bloggers participated in again.

4 hours ago, ica171 said:

my taste leans more toward the detailed "hands off, for looking at only" houses.

I agree. Finally found time to look at all of these and was disappointed. The only house I thought worth the time and expense was the one where she cut out part of the floor to move the stairwell to the middle of the house and created that marvelous banister with the vertical poles. She was the only one to put a railing on the stairs. And how about the one that had the stairs going up into the bathroom? Overall, it reaffirmed my vow not to let an interior decorator into my real house unless she happens to be Joanna Gaines. :D 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ica171 said:

his reminds me of the I'm a Giant challenge from almost a decade ago,

I remember that.  It was started by one of the winners of the HGTV Design Star series.  So frustrating!

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

I agree. Finally found time to look at all of these and was disappointed.

Agreed.  It's even worse if you read the gushing descriptions that House Beautiful writes about each house.  "The tiniest pitcher ever!"  (Really?)  "The most detailed house you've ever seen!"  (Um, no.  Not by a long shot.  Come here if you want to see some detailed houses.)  Sheesh! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

It's even worse if you read the gushing descriptions that House Beautiful writes about each house.

That was my thought too. The series was a real disappointment, and the fawning descriptions just made it worse.

• Like 1