Brick Exterior Advice

Medieval

I decided to make my Pierce with a brick exterior. I wanted red brick. After researching different methods I decided on the joint compound and stencil approach. I added barn red paint to the compound for tinting. When it dried it LIGHTENED. You could not longer see the definition of the brick against the grey "morter" I painted on after priming and before the bricks. So I have been daubing the paint on and am very pleased with how it looks. Some pink shows through the red giving it a weathered look imo.

My question is how and when should I seal it? I did a test board. Modge Podge left a yellow tint. Polyurethane is clear but slightly shiny. I'll post a picture of my test board. I think sealing is a good idea cause I am noticing some crumbling with the dried compound. I am making this house for play. But im not sure about the shiny.

I need to touch up morter in spots before I seal.  Should I seal before adding trim? Should I wait till I assemble and glue at the very end? I'll need to add brick to floor tabs that will show through.  Please advise. Thank you!

20200114_210045.jpg

20200114_210326.jpg

• Like 1

Polyurethane yellows eventually...just something I have noticed on my old houses and the panelling in my RL office. Not sure if it would do the same with your surface but I plan to avoid using it from now on if possible. 

7 hours ago, FurMama said:

Polyurethane yellows eventually...just something I have noticed on my old houses and the panelling in my RL office. Not sure if it would do the same with your surface but I plan to avoid using it from now on if possible. 

I'm glad to know this now and not learn from experience! Thanks!

The acrylic spray I'm thinking of is available in art supply stores to seal pastels and water-soluble media and ought not to yellow over time.  I have also used cheap hair spray without yellowing.