My Garfield Arrived

6 posts in this topic

Well my house finally arrived. I have mixed feelings. lol The Garfield is a beautiful house but I do not like the wood. I built my first Greenleaf house 15 years ago I think. Since then I've only built the MDF houses. I have to change my whole way of thinking through this. I will definitely follow the directions. They are hard to understand though. I found Ginas(More Minis) blog and it is sooooo helpful. Thank you Gina! With my mdf houses I always prime the inside walls with paint so the bare wood won't suck up my wallpaper paste. I will do the same with these. My question is about this wood warping. Should I prime before I put the walls up or will it be ok to put the walls up and then prime them. Will they warp while standing. MDF doesn't warp so I never had to worry about that.

2 people like this

If you reinforce the edges with steel staples as you glue the wood probably won't warp, especially if you apply a couple of light coats, rather than one heavy coat..

1 hour ago, Rose said:

I always prime the inside walls with paint so the bare wood won't suck up my wallpaper paste.

Priming also seals in the natural oils in the wood that will eventually migrate into the wallpaper and turn it brown. 

Holly's idea of a couple very light coats of primer is a good one. Warping occurs when water soaks into the wood fibers, causing them to swell. If you want to prime before construction, you could also "paint" the reverse with plain water. If both sides are equally damp, little or no warping will occur. 

Good luck with your Garfield!! Hope you have a big room in your house when you have finished it. I cut the whole right hand section off and when I was at the shingling stage moved the two pieces downstairs and finished it. It would not have fit thru my doorways. I put it in a corner as it needed to be able to turn....big big big. lol

Did you just get a new Fairfield, Greenleaf dollhouse? Do you think you could scan the building instructions and post them? I’m in desperate need of the build instructions.

thanks,

Margie

Margie, the Garfield is the largest 1:12 dollhouse kit that Greenleaf makes.  The Fairfield is a 1:24 kit with totally different configuration of rooms.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Fairfield, McKinley, Garfield - Between Santa Fe and Albuquerque
      By Talina
      I have two partial kits-Fairfield and McKinley-free. I also have a Garfield that has been started. Whoever started it has done a beautiful job so far.all the punched out parts are bagged and labeled. Not really shippable,but willing to meet people part way (located between Santa Fe and Albuquerque). Want a totally reasonable amount. Mostly want it to move on. Contact me for pictures,as I don't seem to upload pics.
    • Hello from Idaho!
      By MiniGiggles
      Just saying hello and introducing myself. I'm pretty new to miniatures. I've always loved little things but it wasn't until my sister got a huge 1:12 scale dollhouse from a member of her community that I realized miniatures was a hobby. At that point I got myself The Fairfield and I haven't looked back! I'm still working on my Fairfield and a few days ago I got The Garfield from a lady in my own town for an awesome price. I've wanted The Garfield ever since I've laid eyes on it so I snatched it when I had the chance, even though I'm still working on my Fairfield. Unfortunately, whoever put together the Garfield, did a poor job and it wasn't very well cared for. Everything I've found so far has been put together with hot glue, it's got tabs out of slots, pieces coming off,'s got some damage to multiple windows, shingles and a few doors. It's also missing a few pieces here and there. I'm excited to clean and fix it up but worried about some changes I want to make. I want to alter some of the layout during repairs but not sure how much I can do without breaking the house further. 
    • Wallpaper and Flooring
      By beanball76
      Question - Should I wallpaper and floor as I build or do it at the end? 
    • Repairs to Garfield Mansion
      By karenf
      I made a major mistake when I started my Garfield about 3 years ago....the instructions said to use hot glue, so I did. Shortly after I began I decided to do some online research and found out it was a bad idea.    I worked up to the top floor and noticed there are gaps between wall and floor sections and the roof tabs won't fit in some of their slots.  I think it is because the base isn't straight or the glue was applied too liberally and walls are not square in some places.  I imagine the only way to correct this is to take it all apart and start over. Where would you start; should I separate certain sections in a particular order, removing the glue residue with a hair dryer and rebuilding with carpenter's glue?  Luckily, I have been dissatisfied with the finishes I put in each room (paint, wallpaper, flooring), so I will be glad to get the opportunity to re-decorate. Any tips and advice on how to begin this demolition will be greatly appreciated!
      Karen
    • Kid-Friendly Garfield?
      By Cowqueen
      Hello! I a new here, and am attempting to build the Garfield.  I wanted a dollhouse for my two little girls (3 and1) and a friend had the kit sitting in her attic and she graciously gave it to me. I plan to leave a lot of the trim off until the girls are older, but I have a could questions about making the kit more child friendly.  I won't paint or decorate the interior yet- can I just rub paste wax on the wood for now to seal it? I really don't want to shellac or varnish it yet. Also, are there any other modifications that make the houses more play friendly?  Thanks!