Thornhill decorating

Fkendall

My Thornhill has big doors opening on 3 sides to reveal the interior. Id like to know how people deal with the inside of the opening doors? Paint them one colour? Try to match the interior? Hang curtains? Thanks for ideas of what to do!

Frances

5 hours ago, Fkendall said:

My Thornhill has big doors opening on 3 sides to reveal the interior. Id like to know how people deal with the inside of the opening doors? Paint them one colour? Try to match the interior? Hang curtains? Thanks for ideas of what to do!

Frances

Many folks match the other three walls so when it's closed peeking through the windows into the other rooms gives the look of a real house.

On my Pepperwood I textured and painted the inside of its 3 opening sides because I didn't want the jumbled up look of multiple wallpapers when I opened a side. I am planning to brick my TH outside and was thinking about doing similar paint/joint compound inside its doors but with some exposed brick showing under the worn away compound. Also thinking about worn plaster/lath effect for the roof opening. Itsy Bitsy sells a wallpaper look-a-like for both of those which I may use instead because of weight on the doors. 

• Like 1

thank Holly and Lisa. Yes, that is my concern. e.g. on one side a nursery, dining room and kitchen with completely different walls. On the other living room, bedroom and bathroom, also different colours and treatments. the roof also opens to three rooms, but you can't see the inside of the roof from outside so easier to do.

8 hours ago, Fkendall said:

how people deal with the inside of the opening doors?

I've seen houses where the opening wall was decorated like the inside walls with curtains, wall art, and even chairs & other small furniture were glued in place, making the rooms complete with the doors were closed. That's the opposite extreme to keeping that wall plain. As with nearly all phases of miniatures, the choice is yours. :) 

• Like 1

My Queen Anne Rowhouse has hinged panels and I finished them like the rest of the room. I put the crown molding on the inside so it could span the whole room without having cuts in it.

rowhouse632.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello!  I just obtained a Thornhill that I am working on!  I plan on papering the doors to match the rooms as someone showed in a picture above.  The person I bought it from had it almost completed, but no instructions and the quoins are missing.....I'm hoping to find them somewhere or figure out how to make my own.  I look forward to seeing your progress!

Renee, the front-opening dollhouse "doors" are the front walls, so you would want them to match their corresponding rooms when the house is closed up.  As for guoins, you can cut them from paper mache packaging/ egg cartons or make sheets of paper mache, or use paper clay, or use strips of masking tape or painters' tape and spackling compound or joint compound.