Tile roof using corrugated cardboard

grazhina

I'm going to use corrugated cardboard to make a tile roof for my 1:24 scale house. I watched a wargaming video about it, so I've got a good idea of how it's done, but I do have a question for anyone who's used this method on a dollhouse scale house.

Is it better to just start by gluing the first strip (still attached to the paper on the one side) directly to the roof, then continue the gluing process with the next strip, or is it better to glue everything to a thin sheet of posterboard, then glue the whole completed sheet to the roof?

• Like 1

I actually did my corrugated cardboard tile roof tile by tile (because I'm insane, and because it was only a porch roof and therefore relatively small).  I glued directly to the roof.  If you are doing a house, I think it might be easier to cut templates for the roof pieces from the thin posterboard, and glue the tiles to that.

• Like 1

Well, I decided to try making a sample section. I used a piece of posterboard as a base. I've got some lightweight sheets and some heavier ones, I opted to use a piece of the heavier weight posterboard. I was worried that the posterboard might warp, but it didn't.

I didn't have any plain old white glue, so I used Weldbond for the test. My strips tended to come out a bit crooked because the strips stuck down really quickly and then I couldn't adjust them, something to remember. At first I left a little spacing between the corrugated strips, then later I pressed the next strip down more to glue closer together. I think the slight gap looks better. After all the strips were glued down I spread diluted glue over the whole thing, then once the glue dried I painted the roof panel. I happened to have to bottles of craft paint that had clay in the name. One turned out too red, the other too orange, so I wound up brushing on a layer of the orange clay, then dabbed and stroked a bit of raw sienna, followed by some burnt sienna till it came out the way I liked.

I'll write out the whole procedure with pictures when I do the whole roof. I need to buy a bottle of white glue first.

Drat drat drat, I can't attach the picture. I'll try and load it onto the gallery.

My picture just will not load anywhere on here - unless it's just floating somewhere in the ether waiting to land in the gallery. I put it on a blog page I used to use to test html codes,  so it's viewable if anyone want to look at it. Just click to enlarge it. I hate tiny pics, don't you?

https://grazhe.blogspot.com/2020/01/112-corrugated-cardboard-tile-roof.html

I love barrel tile roofs. I haven't done one yet but I've seen the method how to do it. Yours looks really good.  Are you going to keep the same color throughout? I live in So Fla and down here we have a lot of these roofs in real life and there are multi colored clay tiles, all in the same color palette still. We have lots of solid colored ones too though.

10 hours ago, Island-Shack said:

I love barrel tile roofs. I haven't done one yet but I've seen the method how to do it. Yours looks really good.  Are you going to keep the same color throughout? I live in So Fla and down here we have a lot of these roofs in real life and there are multi colored clay tiles, all in the same color palette still. We have lots of solid colored ones too though.

Thanks, Bobie. By adding the raw and burnt siennas to the orange clay paint using wet on wet technique, the final color has a bit of variation. I considered using more shades, but decided the subtler look was best in this case.

On 1/24/2020, 8:33:06, grazhina said:

Thanks, Bobie. By adding the raw and burnt siennas to the orange clay paint using wet on wet technique, the final color has a bit of variation. I considered using more shades, but decided the subtler look was best in this case.

It'll look fabulous I'm sure, it looks good now.

I'm messing around with a terracotta tile floor right now, I'm going to use your and Holly's colors and see what I can do. I made the flooring with paper clay that I rolled out with a rolling pin (from my kitchen) then scored it with a straight edge in even sized squares. Now I just need the get the color right.

Bobie, I hope you used waxed paper between the rolling pin and the clay.  I have a dedicated rolling pin I ONLY use with polymer clay, as some of the oils in the clay are toxic and I have several rolling pins I use for food prep.

Oh, yes I did for sure...I keep several rolls of wax paper in my craft room, I use it to cover a lot of stuff LOL. I haven't baked a pie or noodles in forever, my kids are all gone now so I'll just keep the rolling pin in the craft room too. If they ask for a pie I'll go buy another rolling pin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Island-Shack said:

Oh, yes I did for sure...I keep several rolls of wax paper in my craft room, I use it to cover a lot of stuff LOL. I haven't baked a pie or noodles in forever, my kids are all gone now so I'll just keep the rolling pin in the craft room too. If they ask for a pie I'll go buy another rolling pin.

If they ask for a pie in my house I cheat and buy a couple of cans of pie filling and a box of pie crusts at the grocery store.  I do use a rolling pin for cookies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grazhina said:

I finished the roof last night and just wrote out how it was done. Once again, I can't upload a picture to this post or the gallery, but trust me, the end result looks good.

I'd say it's better than good, Grazhina. It came out beautifully! :clap: 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished a hutch for the house, but frankly I've lost interest in it. I put some pictures in the gallery, as I was not able to attach any to this message. One of the pictures has a little 3" tall paper cutout of a man because I don't have any 1:24 figures to show scale.