To seal or not to seal

Missy A

Hi All!

I hope everyone is well and enjoying your latest projects! 

I'm sure some of you can point me in the right direction. I'm ready to start my new Adams kit. It suggests in the instructions to seal the pieces first. I did not seal the pieces of my last build - The Orchid because I made that into a haunted house. My questions is will the glue bond after sealing? I use Weldbond, it is my favorite go to glue.

I appreciate any help you can give me, thank you!

Missy 

Wood glue adheres best to raw wood, If you want to seal the pieces before assembly, do not put sealer where the joints/tabs will be glued. If you do a dry fit (recommended), you can make a light pencil mark to identify joints, then either seal carefully or mask with painters tape.. 

Actually, you don't need to seal it all in advance. The Adams does not have any hard-to-reach places.  You won't want to seal the parts that you will want to stain, like the floors. Once built you can seal/prime the parts that will be painted or papered to prevent the natural chemicals in the wood from leaching through and staining the surfaces.

• Like 1

I've had success sealing all my wood parts with just a quick coat of polyurethane. I coat every single part including the little ones like window trim, steps, etc etc. I haven't had any issues with bonding, I use Gorilla Wood Glue for construction, and then I'll use Aleenes white glue for a lot of other stuff.

• Like 1