Shingle preference?

Jewliebeads

I was wondering what everyone's preference for shingles is? 

I'm new here and I guess I can say I'm working on my first dollhouse from many years ago. I started it and my boys put their foot through the porch while playing. I put it away after that and just recently brought it out of hiding. 

Originally I cut wide popsicle sticks into octagon shingles and glued them on with wood glue. I didn't have internet back then and my sources were very limited. I did the best I could with what I had. 

The popsicle sticks seem a bit thick for shingles. I bought some octagon cedar shingles from Hobby Lobby but they only had 2 bags of 300-350 shingles. The cashier said they should be getting more shingles and I could check back.

Can cedar shingles be painted or stained? I also noticed they had the asphalt type shingles and wondered if I should use them instead? I live in NC and it gets very humid here. I was wondering if that would affect the cedar shingles over time and cause them to warp? 

Thank you and any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm in SC and my houses used to be out back in a hobby house/she shed. None of the shingles warped during the 20+ years they were there. All were wood ranging from handmade thicker ones to the thin kind like at HL. Some painted some sealed with polyurethane and one open bag sitting under the workbench... all flat as flitters. 

I like the Greenleaf wood shingles.  I have also used the Dura-Craft cedar shakes (I don't really like them, though).  My first preference is coarse sandpaper, which passes for pretty good "asphalt" shingles and can be colored with chalk pastels and paint washes.  I have also used heavy construction paper and simulated tin roofs with corrugated cardboard.

5 hours ago, Jewliebeads said:

Thank you, that's good to know. We have a loft room above a storage shed that I'm thinking about making my own hobby house/ she shed out of. I just have to get my son to get his things out first. 

It was nice to have them tucked away and eventhough the shed was wired/plumbed/insulated with a window unit AC I would run occasionally mother nature won out eventually. The roof and frames around the door and windows leaked but even before that I would see a greenish powder on some of the panelling. Just something to think about. They survived but the stench and scrubbing mildew is not something I would want anyone else to deal with!