Glue Suggestions

SillyRabbit

Hi Maree.

• I suggest using wood glue for the wood-on-wood construction and a white glue (that dries clear) for affixing the acetate window panels.
  • Wallpaper paste works for wallpapering.
  • Liquid starch is good for applying fabric to walls.Test the fabric to be sure it won't soak through and leave spots.
  • If you install trims, such as baseboards, copings, etc., dots of super glue interspersed with dots of white glue will hold the piece in place while the white glue dries.

I have in the past used rubber cement to apply wallpaper but found out that over time it will dry out and the paper will pull away from the wall.

• Like 2

KathieB's list works for me.  I buy small tubs of premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store, which is also where I get my wood glue and clear-drying white glue.  In addition I really like E6000 for applying things like upper kitchen cabinets, shelves and framed pictures to walls, and the poster putty that you knead for furniture, since I sometimes like to move things around and the poster putty doesn't leave a greasy residue like the wax.  I like blue painters' tape or beige masking tape to temporarily hold things together whilst I figure out the instructions and adjust tabs & slots for a more perfect fit (what we call dry fitting).

• Like 1

The suggestions above all sound good to me. I like the brand called Titebond for wood glue. But you have to make sure it will not show because it turns yellowish when dry. I also "borrow" my wife's removeable glue dots that she uses for making cards to attach small lightweight things to walls and to put accessories in place that you don't want to fall over. They come on waxed paper and you just peel them off and stick them where yo want. They are transparent and rubbery and will hold things where you want them but can be easily changed without leaving a residue or marring surfaces such as wallpaper. I also keep an old hair dryer nearby to help the glue dry. 

Edited by LeeB
addition
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hi Maree.

• I suggest using wood glue for the wood-on-wood construction and a white glue (that dries clear) for affixing the acetate window panels.
  • Liquid starch is good for applying fabric to walls.Test the fabric to be sure it won't soak through and leave spots.
  • If you install trims, such as baseboards, copings, etc., dots of super glue interspersed with dots of white glue will hold the piece in place while the white glue dries.

I have in the past used rubber cement to apply wallpaper but found out that over time it will dry out and the paper will pull away from the wall.

Hi Maree.

Hi Maree.

Hi Maree.

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I especially like the glue dots ideas! I start with what’s available locally, Titebond Wood Glue and Titebond Quick n Thick and see how I get on. As far as painter’s tape goes, what width approx is good to work with for dry fitting? Thanks!

40 minutes ago, SillyRabbit said:

As far as painter’s tape goes, what width approx is good to work with for dry fitting?

The standard 1" width works fine. Anything wider and you'll run into problems in small spaces.

• Like 1

Maree - here in NZ the Gorilla Wood glue I have found is the best.  I use it for pretty much everything - except I'll sometimes use some sort of white glue or superglue depending upon materials.

https://snappy.co.nz/products/holdfast-gorilla-aliphatic-pva-wood-glue-500g-pale-cream-01373?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7aPyBRChARIsAJfWCgKp6hQDAGE-3rKQSH19EFadAi5hLgxTAcfl3Z_GG5LB8XlKcOzNAa0aAgVqEALw_wcB

I can't remember if I get it from Bunnings or Mitre 10...