Clear Hairs/Fibers Pulling out of Wood?

Grundor

I have a piece of wood from the roof of my Harrison kit that has lots of clear long stringy hairlike fibers coming out of the edge of the wood.  Clearly not wood fiber, but some other kind of material used in the manufacturing of the wood product.

Pulling them just leads to more and more coming out. 

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this or has any insight into what this material within the wood is?  It concerns me a bit that this is some kind of fiber used in the glue or manufacturing process of the wood sheet. 

-Mark

Edited by Grundor

I believe that Greenleaf kits are made from Luan trees, AKA Philippine Mahogany plywood. They do have some stringy fibers when splintered or broken, but I haven't noticed them being clear.  When I did a google search using your description I found this....

Clearly  you do not have this, I hope :D

Post us a picture, I am curious now.

Mark, I believe those fibers relate to one of the plywood layers, possibly a reinforcement for the adhesive.  I had a lot of really old dried sheets in my Glencroft kit, which made it interesting repairing the easily shattered half-timbering and frames for the windows and doors (which I describe in my section of the Team Glencroft building blog).  I didn't pull them out after the first one; I slathered wood glue on one piece of my trim and rammed it carefully into the other piece to match up the shreds and tuck in any of those stray fibers, wrapped the join in waxed paper and clamped the bejeezis out of it until dry.

havanaholly,

Yes - that sounds exactly like what I saw on my kit.  It was a really poor quality piece of wood and looked like during manufacturing they had possibly introduced whatever this material is to reinforce or make up for the bad ply.  I ended up doing the same thing after pulling some and seeing that it was just making it worse - slathering wood glue along the edge to seal it.

I was wondering if it is fiberglass, nylon or something worse and tend to over worry about safety of what is used in building materials.

-Mark

Mine was apparently a very old kit, and there's a reason it's strongly advised to wear a mask when sanding or drilling MDF.  A lot of "interesting" compounds go into the manufacture of adhesives used in the building industry that are perfectly OK when handled safely and sealed.  Natural wood contains acidic compounds that, if not primed or otherwise sealed, eventually leach out and "burn" the wallpaper, which makes it turn brown & brittle over time.