Greenleaf kits - is this normal?!

IndyCindy

I'm trying to think of a tactful/polite way of asking this. . .so I unboxed my Aster Cottage kit last night and I was shocked at how poor the quality of the wood and materials were in the kit. Is this "normal" for Greenleaf? I took great care to delicately punch some of the pieces out, but still experienced breakage,splintering, and frustration with what was in the box. I've seen the gorgeous masterpieces you've all created, and I know these are definitely some of the more affordable kits out there. It seems soooooo flimsy - does the "sturdiness" come in to play once it's fully assembled? I'm just curious if this is normal, because right now I feel like I'm putting lipstick on a pig! :giggle:

I've forgotten if you bought the kit new or from a previous owner. If new and it's really bad, I'd contact the company. If from a previous owner, you may be the victim of poor storage that has dried out the wood. 

Even with new kits, sometimes the stamping doesn't go through the plywood and you need to use a sharp (read new) utility knife to ease the piece out of the sheet. Sometimes a light coating of stain prior to removal will help stabilize splitting bits. If the glue holding the layers of ply has dried out and the piece is coming apart, use a toothpick to push some wood glue between the layers and clamp them until dry.

So, yes, the wood itself may be a bit edgy, but once the house is assembled and glued, it will be the prettiest pig on the block. :D 

(There's something to be said for laser cut over die stamped when it comes to doll house kits.)

• Like 4

I had some of the "half timbering" sheets from my Glencroft kit that were like that; I was sent the kit direct from Greenleaf to build for the Team Glencroft building blog and I discuss in excruciating detail how I dealt with the fragility and de-laminating.  I suspect the problem is due to the plywood manufacturing process.  Yes, it's cheap plywood; this is why the price of the gorgeous Greenleaf kits is so much less than the more expensive ones.  The house is 15 years old and has moved with us; I have painted the roof since KathieB took this photo:

gallery_8_151_53121.jpg

and it is extremely sturdy.  DO invest in a utility knife with retractable blade and lots of lovely new, SHARP! blades for it.

• Like 1

Holly are you working on a Brimble's right now? That's what I'm working on, its a candy shop/bakery/ice cream. I did a little kit bashing, I needed more room downstairs so I moved the staircase to the outside of the building. It's on the opposite end of the entrance to the store and goes up to the window, which is now a doorway into the upstairs. The upstairs is the baking kitchen and a studio apartment. The build isn't taking too long, but the contents of the shop is taking all my time. I'm making all the goodies myself out of clay.

Also, to stay on topic....I bought my kit from a seller and it's an original packaging Brimble's from the early 80s with the original Greenleaf logo on a brown box. I was nervous about the wood quality since I didn't know how it was stored, but was very impressed after I inspected everything. Perfect quality!!

I still have to make a few fixtures for the store part and finish making the furniture for the upstairs apartment.  It's a home goods store, so will mostly hold things that will go into future houses.