First restoration project!

SillyRabbit

I can’t believe I found this fab dolls house on TradeMe (NZ type of EBay) for $45! It has lighting already wired and that’s a manual lift/elevator at the back. Good bones to renovate and six rooms plus 3 ‘landings.’ Oh the fun I’ll have with this project :cheer:

I think the wooden floors will stay but that thick cork flooring might have to go. I’d love to hear your ideas for a collection of rooms - part of one house or six (plus 3) stand alone rooms? And what do you think about either the absence of or adding internal doors? :D

72ED43F6-A918-4AE5-99A5-7FB5EEA0D1EC.jpeg

065C778D-730C-4387-8258-A7ADCC734CD2.jpeg

153FEB27-A32C-4500-9F8E-4D72E4AB321D.jpeg

1F8F4FA3-0508-49D9-9A84-9C855A755B7F.jpeg

FC0243E1-CF18-49DA-8573-7A58C08C6179.jpeg

B2CF793B-C178-49DA-8E2A-69B060EE7745.jpeg

• Like 5

Good buy! What great bones. It looks sturdy. The elevator sure takes up a lot less room than stairs! The cork does seem out of scale, but if you put pieces of strip wood to trim the edges, it may work okay.

Interior doors are a puzzlement. I would not cut through the walls, but that's just me. You could make faux doors with strip wood and paint or even photos of real doors printed on matte finish photo paper. 

With the elevator and symmetrical room layout, I'd think about making this a commercial or professional building rather than a home and treat each room as a sort of room box -- maybe bakery, haberdashery on ground floor; dentist, doctor on middle floor; and artist, seamstress on top floor. Many other possibilities -- lawyer, architect, author, etc.

• Like 1

I love your idea of creating a commercial setting. The elevator lends itself well to this - I’m imagining a book store, toy store etc with perhaps the top floor dedicated to an office type space/studios or even a high end furnished apartment and an advertising agency or gallery for example. Thanks for your ideas! :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Medieval said:

A hotel with different themed rooms. Maybe make 2 rooms at the top a bridal suite? Every room could have a window view of the ocean...of course the cheaper room could have one of the brick wall next door. Lol

Oh my goodness that’s brilliant! 

• Like 1

Sweet deal! 

Yes - the faux doors and windows seem like a good idea. You can get as simple or complex as you like. A printable feature could have actual 3-D trim to make it more realistic, or you can even make full-on doors and just glue them to the wall. You don't even have to put one in every room.

Looking forward to seeing it develop!

• Like 1

Ether the apartment building or the hotel with themed rooms could lend itself to showcasing a variety of styles - rustic, Victorian, French provincial, art deco, mid-century modern, ccontemporary. . .  Even a low-budget, no-taste, eclectic mix of mismatched pieces that you can't figure out how to use anywhere else. You could do styles that you might not want to sustain for a whole house but would like to play with in a limited setting and space. And totally different color schemes too! A legit excuse to go wild! What fun  - the possibilities are endless!

Edited by LeeB
clarity
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for your suggestions everyone. I’m leaning towards the commercial idea - boutique/specialty stores on the lower and middle floors and a high end apartment on the top, maybe even opening up the top floor with the elevator as the entrance. Just a heads up, I’ll have plenty of questions haha
Watch this space! :D

• Like 2

Great deal! You could really have fun with a multi-level Department Store.

Me personally, I would make that single house in modern theme with an addition on at least one side or maybe both sides. I've always wanted a house with an elevator.

• Like 1