Snail mail

IrishMist

I thought I knew what slow shipping was.... until today.

My postlady just delivered a package that I had ordered from eBay. I had already reported it missing, and the items had beeen replaced. Not unusual, you say?

It was postmarked 07/25/2005! :yikes: The items had been replaced over a year ago! It was in PERFECT condition, the address was printed out and very legible.

So where do you s'pose my package has been for the last year and a half?

:yikes: B) :(

So where do you s'pose my package has been for the last year and a half?

Where was it coming from? Could it have been caught up in the Katrina snafu, which included a huge section of the South? I'm still getting forwarded mail that's a year old or more.

wow that is a long time!!!! Well I guess on the upside you now have doubles of the item...hopefully you can find a use for them !!

Good mentioning Katrina...think some of us not involved forget how widespread that was and the time that it has taken for order to return.

Jack'sgurl

Is it a small package?

Like small enough to have been accidentally lost in the post office? The back rooms local P.Os are horrendous. Messy, lots of stuff around. Not to say this is right but it could have gotten kicked under something and never seen until they did a clean up or something like that..

Mysterious...

Once we took a check for our P. O. box to our local P. O. using their envelope. Well, to our surprise went one morning and found the P. O. locked. Local postmistress said they didn't received the check. We cancelled the check, and rewrote them one. Three months later what do we get as returned mail, the envelope with the originial check in it. It had gone to Colorado, California, Tennesee and back to us. Just to let the postmistress know we showed her all the postmarks. Now we hand deliver the check.

We had a mailman who would take the mail home. He would open cards and take the money out, open boxes and keep stuff he liked. He would throw away large piles of xmas cards (too much to sort). So be happy you got anything. I once got every child support check for everyone in the subdivision. Several hundred houses - about 30 checks. I hand delivered them myself. Another time a neighbor I didn't know brought me an envelope delivered to them - it was a check for $600 I had been waiting for. There are many more stories. I complained to post office, they didn't do anything. Guy finally retired.

Once, in California, the nutcase delivering our mail decided that we weren't home and put a hold on our mail ... despite the fact that she collected 23 cents postage due from me one day. Couldn't figure out why we weren't getting any mail, including paychecks, letters from my mother who kept calling to see if we'd gotten them, and other mail we expected to receive. Went to the post office and got about 6 pounds of mail and a wimpy explanation: well, she was a substitute and just didn't know. HA! She just didn't want to be bothered actually delivering the mail. I've often wondered how many others on her route suffered the same fate.

And don't even ask me about the change-of-address problems. Luckily for us, our cousins are living in our New Orleans house, so they have been sending the mail the post office delivered despite the forwarding order.

Or mail delivery person is not a real postal person and she does not like ot get out of her car. So any packages bigger than the mail box she puts in a black plastic bag and chucks it out on our drive way. Then becasue she dosen't want to be bothered to back out of our drive she just pulls out into our yard to turn around. I know this because I happen to see her out the front window one day. We even had both cars in the drive way so it was obvious some one was home or she could have put it on the front porch. Can I tell you how much it freaked me out the first time we had some mysterious black garbage bag in out drive way...

I live out in a very rural area and soo many things went thru my mind of what the package could be... I thought about complaining but then wondered if I would ever get any future packages.

The delivery people are just not like they use to be when my pappa use to deliver mail.

We had a mailman who would take the mail home. He would open cards and take the money out, open boxes and keep stuff he liked. He would throw away large piles of xmas cards (too much to sort). So be happy you got anything. I once got every child support check for everyone in the subdivision. Several hundred houses - about 30 checks. I hand delivered them myself. Another time a neighbor I didn't know brought me an envelope delivered to them - it was a check for $600 I had been waiting for. There are many more stories. I complained to post office, they didn't do anything. Guy finally retired.

I'll bet he was fairly wealthy when he retired by the sounds of it.

I don't know how these people can live with themselves when they rip other people off so badly. Imagine the number of people who didn't get Christmas cards from someone that they cared about. That is so sad.

-Susanne

I did not have the mental strength to continue to be a rural postal carrier...LOL Postal! (we couldnt even say that word inside the post office)

What do you all think of the postal motto? Snow, rain, dark of night? I personnally would rather have my postal carrier be safe then try to maneuver the sardine can during a blizzard..(the trucks are rear wheel drive! Nothing like fishtailing during a snowstorm down a steep hill!) I didnt care how much they were paying me, I didnt feel my life was more important than a Speigel catalog.

My former carrier was the coolest guy around... Until we found out he got fired for stealing cards and checks from customers. He had a drug habit.

Then there was the time DH & I were doming home from a walk & found a package in a ditch by the side of the road. We took it and found where it was supposed to go & left it in the peoples' mailbox. No telling how long it had sat in the ditch before we found it.

I have a good mail story. I ordered online last thursday a package of Polaroid SX-70 Blend film. They just came out with it and it is a highly anticipated present. But the only distributer was in Austria. I got the film in the mail yesterday!!

BEcause there are so many neighborhoods being developed in my area right now, I am told we don't have enough mail deliverers and mail is always missing. I am on what the post office calls an "Auxiliary Route" which means we get a different mail deliverer every day! This week, I received 4 different envelopes not addressed to me! I am gonna tak ethem to the PO because they never belive me when I complain that I have mail missing.

I don't understand why they don't just hire new workers and get rid of the lazy ones.:yes:

Hahahahahahaha Tracy!

One of the reasons I left was because I was a Rural Carrier Associate. I only worked on Saturdays and any day that MY carrier wanted to take off (days after holidays, snow storms, vacations to bermuda). The inside motto to getting full time at the P.O. is you have to wait for them to die or retire to get a route!

It may stink that you are on auxillary but that means they will expand soon. They do something called a count every 2-3 yrs (sometimes sooner). You have to count every piece of mail for like a couple weeks. Then the P.O. knows how much the mail carrier carries. If the estimated time for a route is over 8 hours (from sorting to delivering, then they decide to re-route the routes to expand. Then the sub carriers get to get a route.

Okay did I lose anyone? LOL I worked a route that had a estimated time of 10 hrs.. Meaning they think you will work 10 hours a day. You get paid that 10 hrs a day even if it only took you 6 hours to do it...See why no one wants to leave? Then if you go overtime...Aka Christmas..That is where the bucks are.

Okay, I am done. LOL