11/27/06 Do You Have Bad Memories?

Minis On The Edge

I was bullied in high school and had to leave school at age 13, the kids used to put cigarettes out on my face because I wouldn't smoke and set fire to my hair and even threw me into an open grave (chased me into a graveyard) and left me there and I couldn't get out. Now I have a deep fear of holes in general and lots of crowds, like crowds of kids. I used to beaten up every day coming home from school and the teachers didn't bat an eyelid. I was home educated by the time I was 14 by my parents and private tutors because I was too scared to leave the house incase the bullies saw me in the street. But I passed my exams getting the highest score in art (yippee), science and English language but I couldn't take any others because of the expense. At the time I saw it as a big achievement because I had no formal education really and had to sit my exams privately

I have bad memories about my brother dying when I was 23 and used feel bad that I couldn't have done more to help him but I don't think he'd want me to suffer so I like to think he is at peace now.

My father is Bipolar too and whoa what a childhood I had. Sometimes he was so funny I couldn't wish for another dad but other times he was so strange but he used to be in hospital alot when he was like that.

Now I feel very lucky to have survived school and be taken out of there and now I just appreciate what I have. :ohyeah:

I've had some really bad things happen in my childhood and earlier in my adult life too. I've grown through the experiences I've had. Sometimes when I think about some of the awful things, I go hot all over, but I can still deal with it without medication.

My father is Bipolar too
So is our DS #3, and although he wasn' "officially" diagnosed until he was 18 his case history is one of the ones that have written the present textbooks on pediatric brain disorders (formerly called "mental illness"); at the time we were struggling to keep him at home & in school "popular wisdom" dictated that children could ONLY be mentally ill because their families/ parents had abused them! Again, I think our situation was one of those that helped rewrite the textbooks.

Sometimes when I think about some of the awful things, I go hot all over, but I can still deal with it without medication.

Yes me too. You just sort of learn to cope and there are so many good things that have happened in my life too that it would be a shame to let the bad parts take over.

Kids are so crule. That why it is so important for Teachers and other grown ups that work at the schools to help protect every child. Anya, I am so sorry you had such a bad experiance at school! I went through a lot of crazy things too and sometimes I found the Teacher encouraging the other kids to pick with me.

When I worked at the schools, I found some teachers that were the same way though I would NOT let it happen on my watch. Kids knew not to tease others (even the ones who acted out pretty bad, I would not allow others to tease and pick on them). This is something that really erks me to the core :wave:

Peggi, I never thought about how this could help those who went through tough times at war. Those soldiers are going through things that are not normal for them and I can see how it can traumatize them.

It is amazing that the human spirit is so strong. Im on the fence about something like this, though i probally would not take it i wish sometimes that i could forget some of the tramitic events that happened in my childhood. I can be very hard to deal with at times. I try not to let my past interfer with my life now too much, but i to have really horrible dreams.

I hope that it will be able to help someone unable to cope with the stress of a situation that has happened to them, such as horribly abused children. Though i wish instead of making a pill to make people forget bad things that have happened to them. Have stronger laws that protect those that can not protect themselves and give people who commit crimes against others proper conceling and skills to make there life better too.

jenn

i don't think that i'd take any such drug, myself. there are memories i would rather lose, but i am fortunate and don't feel that i need such a drug.

sure, getting through life and its evils may strengthen a person, but it can also erode or destroy a person's stability.

we've known for decades about the long-term psychological damage that is suffered by many combat veterans. people used to talk about "shell shock." now we understand more about what some veterans experience. in the US, medicine does so-so job of helping them. we should do more if that is possible.

from time to time i work with people who have PTSD. Some are vets, and some are not.

there just is not much difference between what is experienced by prisoners of war and what is experienced by people who endure abuse at home or elsewhere.

not everyone can overcome the fear and pain. if there is safe medical help, i'm all for that.

This is one of those topics that just can't end up being "black and white" I think that there are people out there who could benefit from this type of drug, however, I can also see HUGE potential for abuse (I believe someone had mentioned it being used as a "date-rape" drug) I think that it needs to be tested much much more before becoming more widely used, and I think that anyone who is considering it needs to have a dang good support network in place.....if you need this drug, I suspect that you need really good supports to help you through what is going on as well. As for me, I would actually like a drug that does the opposite: helps you to remember....I have a lot of "blank spots" in my childhood and I would really like to know why...it freaks out me and Eric both that there are these huge chunks that I just can't remember, and I would be curious to find out what is going on. Not sure what my thoughts on hypnosis are, though, that's another one of those "grey area" topics....but on the whole, if it can help improve quality of life for people, I'd say it's worth more study

Kids are so crule. That why it is so important for Teachers and other grown ups that work at the schools to help protect every child. Anya, I am so sorry you had such a bad experiance at school! I went through a lot of crazy things too and sometimes I found the Teacher encouraging the other kids to pick with me.

When I worked at the schools, I found some teachers that were the same way though I would NOT let it happen on my watch. Kids knew not to tease others (even the ones who acted out pretty bad, I would not allow others to tease and pick on them). This is something that really erks me to the core :congrats:

Peggi, I never thought about how this could help those who went through tough times at war. Those soldiers are going through things that are not normal for them and I can see how it can traumatize them.

The problem is with schools in the UK is that if an incident happens outside of school hours they never take responsibility for it but they should if it involoves their pupils. The kids who gave me a hard time were from the other side of town and I would have never met them if I didn't go to that school so I see it as their duty to do something about bullying outside of school hours if it involves pupils from their school

I am a firm believer that our tragedies as well as our successes in life make us who we are and help to build unique people. YEs some memories are very sad but people learn a lot from hard experiences.

So no, I would never even think of such a pill.

I hope this is reserved for serious circumstances only and not just used and abused by the general public. Maybe severe cases of incest, abuse or rape this might be the only way to help a person thru trauma but for most painful memories I believe they build character and provide learning experience for most of us.

And for as sad as vet memories and experiences were, I still say that if we were to wipe out their memories the big picture is marred because these soldiers go over there to do a job and most take it very seriously. If they could no longer remember it would wipe out critical information that could perhaps be shared by others and people can learn from it. So even if our own pain didn't help us to grow if the big picture shows that it helps others to grow then it should not be tampered with. And the very nature of soldiers seems to be they are a group of people who are altrustic in a lot of cases and I think they would want to share this memory and what they learned for the good of the future, no matter how small a difference their memories might make.

I also have a feeling that longterm use of something like this is going to have repercussions that the drugmakers and therapists do not know yet. It sounds very surreal to tamper with mother nature in such an aggressive way.

Edited by MiniDoxLuvr

I would consider it. I've been thru more crap in my time that I should have not had to deal with and still deal with so, yeah, I would take it. Tough times do build your character but some of us have enough character already lol.

It would be benificial for certian types and levels of the nightmares etc. If it corrupts your daily life and you are not able to function then I say go for it. It would be a medical necessity at that point I would think.

But, at the same time you will start to get every Tom, d*** and Harry that had a bad dream to take it and that would defeat the purpose.

Kind of like a panacea for a prozac nation.......(heard that in a song, I like that line lol)