Lack of Motivation

Robin

Do any of you ever get in one of those moods where you just can't seem to work on your minis? I look at my Laurel every day but for some reason I just can't seem to do anything with it. I just don't have the motivation. I haven't touched the poor thing in about a month. She just sits there, staring at me. What do you do when/if this happens to you?

Yep Robin, I've gotten that too. Sometimes I just can't get motivated to touch a dollhouse, and it sits there staring at me and I feel guilty. I have learned, however, that when I am in that mood to not touch the dollhouse, because that's usually when I mess something up. Then all of a sudden, it hits me, and all my creative juices start going and I play and play and play and play!

I bought my dollhouse just for fun and gave myself a time limit of 10 years to fix it. That way, I never feel pressured to work on it and it remains "fun" and not "work." During the week, I'm so exhausted from my day job that I don't have the energy to work on it. I usually try to do chores on one weekend day so the other day can be dollhousing day. Unless you are building it for a client or something, just allow yourself to come and go guilt free! :lol:

Sometimes I'll let a project sit for days/weeks ... I'm not really ignoring it. I know it's there waiting for me. I think what happens is that I'm processing the next action and thinking down the road, because, like Deb, one day I know exactly what needs to be done and I hop right on it.

Relax ... you'll get back to it when you're ready.

Might I suggest browsing ebay or some of your favorite online shops? You might come across an item or idea that sparks your creativity, and gets you motivated to start up again. That usually works for me!

I put away my Orchid and Bayberry for a couple of years unfinished. Personally I always start projects work on them until I get unmotivated and then come back to them again. I do this with all my crafts and that way I enjoy them more. It also gives me time to think about everything. I was glad I waited to start my San Franciscan because it took me awhile to figure out the colors. I realized the ones I thought I wanted were not the ones I was picturing it in my mind. So give yourself time.

I also like the idea of looking at websites for motivation.

Put it up where you'll see it from time to time so you don't forget it and go do something else. Right now I'm finishing the curtains for the wood Orchid, Cross-stitching a picture for DDIL, finishing her layette, reading two books (one downstairs & one upstairs, it saves unnecessary trips when I have to go look for it) and making dolls for a commission. I found out a while back that if I have a few different irons in the fire at the same time I'm not as likely to burn out on one of them!

Are you stuck on something? Maybe you need inspiration or as somebody else said here, just surf e-bay for some new ideas. Or maybe it's just the time of year. We sometimes get so busy now with everything else going on in our lives. You will get the bug again, I'm sure.

I put my Newport Cape house away for two years. The brickwork was giving me a headache and I just didn't enjoy doing it anymore. This spring I got it back out and have been working on it since. Not everyday, but it's slowly getting done. Right now it's been on hold for about a month because I have to get my neice's done for Christmas, but I'll go back.

Sometimes I get out of working on my houses because I get interested in some other craft.

I often get distracted from something. I have many hobbies and I rotate them. I have not crocheted in maybe 10 years. I got motivated to make a bedspread for one of my houses by seeing one here. I used to knock out an afgan a week. I haven't worked on my dollhouses in 4 years. Now I have 5 going at once. When I get "too much dollhouse" I will go and do something else. I have some embroidery I ran across recently I'd like to finish. I set the white orchid aside to work on the 2 log cabins. So, give it time. Maybe your mind is busy with other stuff and you just don't realize it.

I know how you feel, Robin! I've been going through a difficult time and for me, it's the time of year. I'm just not motivated to do anything. I've learned over the years, not to be hard on myself . . . that can make it worse. Just do what you feel like doing and before you know it an idea will be sparked and you'll set off on your course again! In the meantime . . . enjoy the ride (or a good piece of chocolate or some hot cocoa with marshmallows or . . . well, you get the idea)!! :lol: See, I've just been sparked to go have a nice cup of tea! :lol:

I know exactly how you feel. My poor Creekside Cabin should have been finished in 2 weekends but I managed to stretch it out for months and months. The spirit just wasn't moving.

I often lose intrest then find myself going full speed. I had put up the westville momnnths ago then built the Orchid and then sewed some baby items. Now the Westville is back in progress. I find if the desire is not there to do something I desire instead of pushing thru to the end of a project.

Melissa

I sometimes think it is lack of motivation and a lil bit of boredom.

I let it go and not feel guilty. I know that something will hit me and I will get back into the mood.

I have lost steam with the Marquam Hill, so I turned her around so I cant see the unfinished inside and I can marvel at the outside. I know I will eventually turn her back around.

The HUD house has been moved down to the diningroom and it is on top of a new armoire that i am using for art supplies. I have a galley kitchen with a opening so I can see the inside of the HUD house every time I am washing dishes. I am starting to rethink her. Might rip out the wallpaper and start over.

See sometimes a new perspective can get the creative juices flowing.

Bummer!

I went thru this, this past summer for about 2 months. I spent the time working on another hobby tho. Now i'm back to building full force!

I think sometimes you just need a break. Enjoy your other hobbies!

This often happens to me when I run into a problem and have to figure out how to get the look I want. I have been working onthe Country Victorian for two years. The second story stairs have really thrown me off. I just recently got back to it and hope to have it done soon. I also try to keep at least two houses in different stages so I always have something different to do. One is usually being built and the other needs the finishing touches.

I get in a slump all of the time and because this IS how I make money, I find that viewing all of everyone else's projects and pictures help inspire me. Also, if I force myself to get started, I usually can't stop. I turn on my music and have my work stuff out and I am in my own little world :thumb: :)

I'm THERE!!!! Haven't touched my WINSTON in weeks. Got to many other things to get ready for.....and my motivation is rather stagnant right now......what's UP with that anyway...what is this SYNDROME known as??????????????????????????????????????????? :)

Thank you all for your kinds words and advice. I have it on a side table in my dining/craft room and I look at it every day. I think I'll work on it tomorrow a little and see how I feel. Maybe just getting started again will give me the boost I need :D

Maybe just getting started again will give me the boost I need

and if it doesn't, make a little list of things it would be nice to have for it and try making them, instead. Sometimes shifting perspective helps.