I need to vent before I have a breakdown

Annette

I'm having a really bad week and I don't have anyone to talk to so I'm turning to my mini friends. It all started when I took my truck in for state inspection and emissions (sp?). It passed just fine until they hooked up the trucks on board computer, it failed because of 3 sensors. They told me to change the EGR valve reset the computer and drive it around and it should be fine, didn't work. Today I went back to have them check it and it still says the same thing and on top of that come Monday they are closing the garage permanently. So I'll be driving the truck all weekend and take it back Monday and if it doesn't go through I'll basically be out $75 (price of inspection & emission) and have to park the truck. On top of that news Greg was complaining that he had a headache a few days ago, when he woke up the next day he had trouble reading, he could pick out words but he could not put the sentence together. Called the doctor and took him in and the doctor said he was 60% sure Greg suffered a minor stroke probably caused by stress, he's only 36. He has to get an MRI so they can be sure. This has got to be the worst week I have ever had.

Thank you all for listening to me, I feel a little better now that I don't have it bottled up inside.

Oh, Annette, I'm so sorry for your bad week. I will put you and your family in my prayers and send good thoughts to you all. I hope things get better soon. Try to find some time to relax and take care of yourself so you will be ready to deal with whatever comes next week. Good luck!!

I am so sorry to hear about the many Issues going on in your life right now! Don't have a break down! Keep a good eye on your hubby and take care of him first. The truck can wait (So long as you have another vehical).

I will keep you in my heart and mind and I pray things get much better soon! Many Many Hugs to you my friend! :):)

Annette -

I've sent a prayer up for you and your husband. I'm so sorry that you've had such a bad week.

When will Greg be able to get his MRI? Hopefully very soon. Please let him know that there are people praying for him. Is there any way you and he can manage to spend a relaxing weekend? It sure sounds like you both need it.

Take care.

Hugs,

-Susanne

I'm sorry you're having a bad week. I have had a few of those.

About the truck. Don't know about where you are but here in California where we have the tightest emmision laws, we have "referee stations" we can take our vehicles to if they won't pass. We still have to pay. But if your income is low enough to qualify you can apply for state help to make the vehicle pass. We're still out the initial inspection fees and for any work done. If approved we pay the first $20 of any additonal repairs needed and then the state will kick in up to $500. Anything over $500, we still have to pay. As well as for another inspection. Last time it cost me around $250 to get my truck to pass, on a $750 repair job, and I had to go back to the Dept of Motor Vehicles several times to get those "temporary" stickers for the window while I was waiting for the "approval" of the assistance request.

Check with your DMV and or state to see if there is any similar program in your state.

Now about your husband. He's in our thoughts and prayers and we've had some people close to us (both related and not) have similar things happen. Sometimes it was nothing. At other times it was something. I do know however that from personal experience, stress can lead to a multitude of ungood medical syptoms and problems. Here's what I did.

* took up a hobby

* changed jobs to one less stressful (now I make a LOT less but smile a LOT more)

* practiced meditation (and took more naps because sometimes when meditating I'd fall asleep - LOL!)

And lastly I adopted a Two Rule system of Life

Rule #1 - Don't sweat the "small stuff"!

Rule #2 - It is ALL "small stuff".

Actually, that's just my joking way of saying that I simply refuse to let worry or stress be a part of my life. I do it in many ways. When something is bothering me I will not supress the urge to think I must find a solution but will give it the 2 or 3 minutes of thought it deserves. If I cannot come up with an immediate solution that will help it I put it on the list of things to think about again later in the week and leave it for my sub concious to work on. Often by the time I remember it again, I find that the problem solved itself without any work at all on my part. I just had to get out of the way.

Another thing I do is ask myself if "this will be really important to me 10 years from now". Will how I do this thing today truly have any effect on my life a decade into the future. Most of the time an honest assessment gives me the answer of "not really". In the few instances I cannot come up with a no answer, I give it maybe 5 minutes of thought instead of the usual 2 or 3.

And finally, IF one of those "worries" pops back into my mind again, before the day is over, unless it's accompanied by a new and untried solution I kill it with a thought of "NO WAY PROBLEM! You've already used up your alloted time for today. Come back tomorrow."

OK, maybe I'm a bit crazy in my approach but it works for me, and people around me are constantly amazed at how I can walk through "SO MUCH ^&$%#, without seeming to be phased by it at all". I can assure you that this was NOT always the case. Only the last 30 years or so.

If you find any of this information useful then it's yours. If not, view it as a joke, smile and feel a bit better.

hugs and smiles,

Darrell

Annette, I'm so sorry to hear about your horrid week, but I think the advice everyone here has given is right on, and remember, you aren't alone! We are all your friends and you can talk to us about anything, we're here for ya!

*Bearhugs to you and your DH*

Annette, sorry to hear about your husband. I hope that he has a quick recovery and that it is reversible and minor.

Bummer on the truck. I hope that works out without further problems.

I'll keep you and your husband in my thoughts.

Please vent any time you need too, we all need to sometimes.

My DH had a similar problem a couple of years ago with his vision, he never had the headache though, but he got tunnel vision while driving his 18 wheeler one morning. After seeing an eye doctor, his regular medical doctor, a neurologist and a neurosurgeon, (along with MRI's, CAT Scans, etc) they all agreed that it "most probably" was a very light stroke. But the eye doctor (the first one we saw) had said that right off and had also said it would probably clear up in about 6 weeks and it did. No medication just time and he has not had any more eye problems.

So I hope your DH has as good a turn out as my DH did and that it clears up on its own.

Annette, so sorry to hear about your horrible week. We'll all have the two of you in our thoughts and prayers. I know the MRI will go ok. We have some of the best hospitals and doctors in the world in our city and they will know how to fix Greg up and he'll be back to normal soon.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Sounds like it's time for him to find a way to relax some.

I know how you feel about car troubles. I was driving home last night, heard a clunk and this morning I went out to find out that the bracket that holds the alternator and that whole assembly had fallen off and the alternator was just barely hanging on because it was resting on the grill. So it's at the mechanics.

Boo hiss for car troubles. :lol: I just spent about 450$ on it a few weeks ago.

Kat

hi, annette,

i'm so very sorry to hear that you and Greg are having such a rough time.

sometimes, just putting the problem or frightening thoughts into words can help lighten the burden, so i hope that the venting has lightened yours.

life can be a juggle in the best of times. when a person has to face big, sudden, unknown hurdles and has to depend on other people for information and solutions, that is very, very hard.

please know that people care, and that we're sending strength and support to each of you.

(((((((Annette))))))

I will be thinking of you today. It is very scary when you think the person that you love dearly might be ill in any way. My dh was having chest pains early this year and ended up in observation in ER. It was finally determined to be acid reflux.

When something like this happens I become aware and educated. It might seem a little scary to know the facts but I dont feel that way. I want to know so there are no surprises.

Take it easy and help him take it easy.

As for the truck...You said there were 3 sensors in the car going off. Did they tell you which ones? From what I have learned sometimes the coding isnt very specific on what is actually the problem.. We had that problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor. The coding that came up said it could have been that or it could have been something else I cant remember right now. We were lucky to have a friend/mechanic that knew that the MAF on our Acura was faulty from the manufactorer (they didnt recall it) so it was an ez fix.

I would think they have the technology to tell you exactly so you dont have to go to a mechanic and pay $75 to have the test done at your expense.

Here is another big hug...((((((((Annette))))))) and a big pint of your favorite flavor Ben and Jerrys!

That is a scary thought about a stroke

It's even scarier when it happens to young folks. I had a little fellow at one of my schools who came to the clinic to take his seizure meds who had had so many strokes before he even started school that he had not only developed seizures and hemiplegia, but the hemiplegia had affected the growth of the limbs on that side of his body.

On the other hand, there are a number of other things that aren't stroke/ TIA that it could be (I got "silent" migraines like that), so I look forward to hearing benign MRI results and a good prognosis.