Im becoming a Notary

Ms. Mini

Hello everyone! well my work has decided that I need to be our commerical divisons Notary of the Public. Here is california there is a law that requires all notarys to take a 6 hour course and take a state exam. They are paying for all my training and fees, as well as my supplies. I am taking the course online and just printed out my 15 chapter workbook I am to use while taking this course.

Now here is my questions... Is anyone here a notary? If so do you have any wisdom or tips you can give me?

Thank you so much!

I'm a notary, but here in Georgia all I had to do was prove I was an American citizen and get 3 unrelated people to vouch for my character. Since I mainly notarized documents at work, I don't even keep a log. If I do occasionally notarize for private citizens, I don't charge because my work paid my fees, and bought my stamp.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help, but it is fun to see the different regulations from state to state.

ya the regulations here are insaine. I HAVE to take an oath, get finger printed, take a state exam and get 70 percent or highter, and take a 6 hour course and pass that test. also I have to renew every 4 years and at the end of every year i have to send copies of my journal log up to the secretary of the state. yikes lol

In South Carolina, all you have to do is fill out a form and pay a filing fee. You don't even have to prove you're a citizen. Each state is different with their requirements. I worked for the Clerk of Court for Spartanburg County where the notaries are supposed to register. The certificate was mailed to each applicant with instructions NOT to laminate. You'd be suprised just how many came in laminated and the new notary saying, I wasn't told not to do it.

If you are asked to notarize something outside of work, you should know the person doing the asking or they should have proper identification. They also need to sign the document in your presence. How can you vouch for the signature if you didn't see them sign it? The signature could be a forgery and you might be brought up on criminal charges. Not trying to scare you but it could happen.

In this state, notaries are allowed to perform marriages.

Now here is my questions... Is anyone here a notary? If so do you have any wisdom or tips you can give me?

I had to take a course here in NY too Jenny. If the wind blows I lose my train of thought and I officially suffer from ants in the pants but I still managed to ace the test. I'm sure you'll do just fine! I suggest you get a rubber stamp to save time when notarizing (I have horrible handwriting).

Congrats on the added responsibility!

Dean

Thanks Dean! I appreciate it :banana: ya we are required to have stamps. once i pass the state exam and i get my fingers printed i will be getting my stamp with my name and info on it :banana: i cant wait!

n South Carolina, all you have to do is fill out a form and pay a filing fee.

It's about the same here in Connecticut. The form asked a few questions about rules and regulations, but it came with a booklet that had all of the answers in it, and you weren't required to prove you answered the questions without looking at the booklet. I did it a few months ago, and I was surprised that it wasn't more closely regulated. :banana:

I also recently became a licensed insurance producer, and while they required you to jump through more hoops (an approved course, pass the course exam, then pass the state exam), it was still strikingly easy.

It's curious the differences in state requirements for the same positions. Best of luck with your exam! Let us know how it goes!

hi,

i'm a Notary and commissioned in NC. Here there is a required class, an exam, an oath, and periodic renewal. So far as i know,Antus Pantus is not an occupational illness but i have heard that it sometimes cause difficulty for northern Notaries.

Ok, this may be mind-bendingly dull, but here goes.

Here, the basic fuction of a Notary is to act as an official witness. Notaries here are not allowed to witness signatures of family members, nor can we perform marriages (thank goodness). There is a legal limit to what a Notary can charge for service, in NC.

A Notary witnesses and confirms that a person

(1) is who s/he claims to be. TIP: it is sensible to ask to see proper identification as a matter of routine. Then you can always say, "I always ask for and see proper identification," and it will be true.

(2) has signed the document in the Notary's presence. TIP: one cannot ever, ever, notarize a signature of any person who has not signed a document in one's presence. Exception: someone you know, a co-worker or friend, brings a document to you and says, "I signed this, please witness my signature." Witnessing that seems kosher to me, so long as the signature is the person's usual signature.

(3) has sworn that her or his statements in the document are true so far as s/he knows. In some situations the Notary first administers an oath, to which a person swears, and then the person signs the document. In those situations the Notary is witnessing both the oath-making and the signing of the document. TIP: administer the oath, as a matter of routine, even if it seems foolish.

Here in NC there are various rules about what the format is for the Notary's statement, or "attestation" that is on the document. The format varies by type of document. Notaries are supposed to know which format is proper. TIP: keep the rulebooks at hand along with the log.

I've been a Notary for over 20 years and nobody has asked to see my records.

Here, it is OK to witness signatures on virtually anything, including handwritten statements such as "I have known Barry since he was born and he is a fine citizen," so long as the Notary's statement is properly done. But if the document looks hinky or you have doubts, it's wise to stall and do your homework.

last tip: your state may allow you to use some substitute drawing of the image on your stamp, if your stamp is damaged.

Next month i'll be dropping by with a few dozen strangers who need their signatures witnessed on some badly photocopied car titles. let us know when you're ready, OK?

I am a notary here in NC, but each state's laws are different on what they allow notaries to do ...

hi,

Notaries here are not allowed to witness signatures of family members, nor can we perform marriages (thank goodness).

I thought we could not notarize a family member if we have an interest in their estate. Such as, I cannot notarize my mother nor my children, or my husband. I can notarize my sister who is married, has 4 children and 6 grandchildren, because the chances of me having an interest in her estate are pretty danged slim. My brother who is unmarried and has no children, I cannot notarize him.

Hi Jenny - I'm a Notary here in So. Cal too. The test wasn't that difficult. I would also like to remind you that you must keep your notary journal and supplies in a safe and locked place where only you have access to it. Example - I was keeping mine in the safe at work but since my boss (the CFO) also had the combination to the safe, it was not allowed. I found this out when I got a surprise visit from a reperesentative at the Secretary of State's office. It seems I was the lucky recipient of a random inspection of new notaries. Thank goodness I was totally up to date on my journal. I now keep it all in a locked briefcase that I keep in the trunk of my car when not at work. I have learned to treat that thing like my purse during the workday. It goes where I go.

Another thing - don't forget to renew your insurance every year. The Notary is for 4 years - the insurance is not.

Don't worry about it! I though the seminar/class was kind of interesting and hey - it get's you out of work for a day right?!? :blink:

I am a Notary as well and top of that a Certified Loan Signing Agent, and have a real estate license.

Currently I am working for an Engineering firm and we do some transactions in house.

Even though my boss had paid for my notary classes and supplies, I am only alowed to notarized in the office and exclusively for him and his clients and check this out - for FREE. He is checking my journal every time there is a new entry. :blink:

Also I was thinking that after a successful exam, I may get some extra money, a raise or a one time bonus.... Well I am still waiting, it has been 2 years.

It was a huge dissapointment for me. :wave:

Top of all that, my bonus for this year was cut in half. :roflmao:

I hope you will have better luck. ;)

Maybe I need to consider a carrier/job change, I feel like he is taking advantage of me. :roflmao:

Marti.

hi again,

LP, i think that you're right and that we can notarize a family member's signature if there is no real likelihood of estate interest.

i think the easier practice is to just not witness signatures for any family members because we only are allowed to witness signatures for family in some situations. just saying "no" avoids arguments about "well, you did it for her, why not for me?"

I'm a notary, but here in Georgia all I had to do was prove I was an American citizen and get 3 unrelated people to vouch for my character. Since I mainly notarized documents at work, I don't even keep a log. If I do occasionally notarize for private citizens, I don't charge because my work paid my fees, and bought my stamp.

Yep that's the way it is in NJ too. My dh is a notary and has been for about 10 years. He didn't have to take a test just prove citizenship and have a congressman vouch for your character. He never charges because he mostly does it for family and friends.

Yes, it is!!! :whistle: You have to be a qualified judge to work as a Notary. We have only civil law notaries here. As far as I know notaries public don't exist in Austria. Well, our law system is very different to the Anglo-Saxon. We also don't have Case Law. Sooo many paragraphs to study, I tell you! :bounce8: