Another Brimble's Mercantile

uppitycats

I know I'm in love with this house. And probably should just buy the sucker (this is a "buy now"). But..

I'm also interesting in building my own, so I'm waiting for a kit. But if anyone else is interested...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCANTILE-BRIMBLE-STO...1QQcmdZViewItem

He MADE me do it. He dragged me to the computer, MADE me click on, and MADE me buy this! My husband said he was tired of hearing me talk about it...and didn't really want to help build a SECOND house, and besides, while this one looks really nice he was pretty sure there was lots I could do to fix it up (I'd been babbling about cutting a hole in the side and making a door and having it come down off the second story in to a garden where my greenhouse -- now under construction -- will sit)...so BUY it already, he demanded. So I did. :wave:

I was really hestitant. Still nervous. Though the listing says "Sarasota", the e-mail I got from the seller has her address in CANADA! She quoted a shipping price of $35....but I don't know how she's going to be able to ship it for $35 from Canada. And while the dollar amounts in the listing and email all appear to be quoted in US dollars (and I think eBay does that now), I do HOPE that it's American currency we're talking here. Anyway. I bought it, and paid for it, and now we'll see if it comes and gets here relatively in one piece. I got another bottle of Aleen's glue, just in case. :)

Uppiycats just beat me to it. :w00t: I was just about to buy when I saw it sold. That's what I get for snoozing. Congrats to to you uppitycats, well done. :)

I noticed thar this seller has another dollhouse for sale but it looks a little rough. HMMMM. Could be another great fixer upper project. :wave:

Sorry, Greg.. (Well, I'm not REALLY sorry, but that's the polite thing to say :wave: )

If for some reason, this transaction falls through I'll let you know. And I'll still be keeping an eye out on eBay to see if others show up.....just because... :)

Congratulations Uppitycats, I know when I saw your first post I checked out the site to see what it looked like and it was gone. So I'm glad you're the one that got it. Be sure and post pics when you receive it and any bashes you do to it.

Oh, Lord, if GL ever brings it back I'm going to have to build TWO of them, one as a saloon with a bordellow & sawbones upstairs & one as a turn-of-the-last century department store with pneumatic tubes and all sorts of shelves & counters & fancy ceilings...

:):) Well, as I feared, the seller is balking. E-mailed me this morning...box is "too big for regular mail and UPS wants $49...is there a Greyhound near me where I could pick it up??"

I e-mailed back, telling her I was way in the country, nowhere near a Greyhound...and besides, I use a wheelchair, so my going to pick it up somewhere really wasn't an option...

I'm waiting for a reply before I think about whether I'd toss in a few more bucks for shipping.

I was WORRIED about that low shipping estimate.. $35 sounds high, til you take a big box to a shipper, somewhere!

:):) Well, as I feared, the seller is balking. E-mailed me this morning...box is "too big for regular mail and UPS wants $49...

Is the $49 quote from UPS for just shipping or does it include packing? Doesn't really matter.

I think I'd tell her she quoted $35 and you expect she'll honor that quote. It's not your fault that she guessed wrong. Hopefully she'll eat her mistake.

Well, she e-mailed me back, said "It's been shipped by UPS; should arrive in 4 days..." I'm not holding her to the 4 (business) days, this being a holiday weekend and all. But at least it's shipped!

I'll see what happens when it arrives. If it is in relatively good shape...and it DID cost $49 (or more)..I have her e-mail address; I might just send her at least part of that through Paypal...

Anyway, a nervous morning. I'll have to spend the afternoon playing with my greenhouse, to recover. :)